New ECU's

wheel366

Has anybody upgraded their ECU? I was just looking at AC's site and they look to be around $500 for my 95. Are they worth it and do they offer the 15 - 17 HP that they say they do?

Man, if they do I'll get one along with the headers too. That's what credit cards are for! ;)

A little of topic, but what kind of clutch's do you guys have. Is there one you recommend getting? I'm not in need of one. Just want to know for future reference.

I wouldn't bother with the ecu. It does gain hp, but at the expense of increased wear and tear other parts of the truck. Here's a link with some more info about them: linky

The best way to squeeze a little more juice from these trucks is to make sure your engine is in good running order (tuned). A simple plug, wire, rotor and cap replacement can make a definite improvement. The K+N air filters help out, and like the borla outfit you already have, there are a few good aftermarket exhaust systems and headers available. Remote oil and transmission coolers keep the engine and tranny protected from heavy duty work like towing and hillclimbs. Electric fans like the one 88pathoffroad has installed reduce parasitic drag on the engines, freeing up a little more power. Just spend some time searching through the various threads. The little 'assistant' link in the top right of the board page has a good search feature to help you narrow down the topics.

As for clutches, centreforce is a good brand. Here's another link for a different brand : Borg Warner Even the UAP NAPA clutches are a good buy.

He's not talking about the fake resistor mods from off Ebay, he's talking about the Jim Wolf Technologies reprogrammed ECU from AC. It's a solid mod, but you really won't see too much improvement without some more serious mods like headers and a high-flow intake. And of course, keeping it tuned up and running in top shape always helps.

By the way, you have to remove your ECU and send it to them for reprogramming, which can take a few weeks...unless you have a spare, that'd mean your Pathy will be undriveable for that time.

So, the Jim Wolf chips are good? I would probably just buy it instead of sending mine to them. Looks like it's around $500. I would rather have my stock on incase something happens or I fail emisions.

I already have a borla exhaust. My friend and I are probably going to convert to the cone K&N filter at the same time we install my headers.

However, my buying a new ECU and the calmini lift kit all depends on whether or not I get this new job. So, lets hope I get the job. :D

After that, it's a new stereo and dynomat-ing from the firewall back including the doors. Truck is just to loud

Jim Wolf doesn't offer a chip add-on for our ECU's - they have to take yours apart and add in some chips of their own. When/if you do this, you need to specify the type of mods you have to your rig. Like if you have headers, exhaust and intake and possibly new cams. Then they will 'program' it to get the very best out of those mods. That is why it is best to do as many of those mods as you would like or intend to do before you get the ECU mod'd so you CAN get the best out of it, and wont waste 500 bucks ...

Well, thanks for the advice. I had no idea. I'm still patiently waiting for my headers, so I'm sure it won't be until next year at the earliest.