hello and help with 2001 pathfinder

raz

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum but have been reading here a bit before I got my first Pathfinder last week: a 2001 SE 3.5L 5spd manual.

It's in a little rough shape so I need to do a few things to it get it up to speed. My main use will be 90% city/highway driving and 10% to carry paragliding passengers (4 at a time) plus their gear up steep mountain roads. No serious off-road stuff, but occasionally we come across some major cross-ditches.

1. First off, suspension. I need to beef up the suspension but not to the point of making it uncomfortable on the highway. I've read the section on suspension systems and am considering the OME line. But which one I'm not quite sure.

2. Second, rust. There's plenty of it underneath the vehicle. While none of is deep, I want to stop and minimize its extension as much as possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

3. Third, the stock CD player doesn't work. The tape deck and radio work fine and the Bose speakers sound great. I'd like to make it look stock again with steering wheel controls and the whole bit, but I can't seem to find any at the wreckers. I guess the Bose 6 CD deck doesn't have the greatest realibility. Any suggestions for after market CD Deck that would integrate well with the Bose speakers and steering wheel controls?

4. Tires: what's the largest size of BFG All-Terrain TA's I can put on the stock rim without them rubbing?

5. Finally, any reason to get manual locking hubs if I'm not doing any serious off-roading?

There's more, but I'll leave that for now.

Thanks for all your help.

Raz

Edited by raz

Welcome, I have an 01 5 speed as well, a lot of fun!

1. I like the way my AC coils ride, I have no experience to speak on the OME setup...

2. I don't know much about that so I can't properly respond...

3. The CD changer is known to go up, I think Ebay is your best bet for a new one...

4. The equivalent of 31x10.50R15 is the largest size I would go with...Mine has 255/75R16 Revos and they have some more room to go wider and taller...

5. I would definitely get the hubs, the mpg improvement was between 1-2 mpg, with the 2mpg coming form mostly highway situations...

Let us know the rest, we can help as much as possible...

Just to toss in my two cents but if you want good capability all-around and some improved clearance, your 2 options for suspension are AC or OME. The AC coils offer 2" of lift and are quite reasonable for the price. The only downside is they tend to sag... The OME coils, on the other hand, are more heavy duty and will not sag, while offering an increase of 1.75". These beefier coils will cost you more but they'll endure just about anything you throw in front of your rig.

For AC suspenion gear, check out: https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/index.php?...h=435_437_341_8

For OME, check out: http://rocky-road.com/pathfindersus.html

Either path you take, you'll notice a huge improvement compared to the stock suspensio, which is mediocre at best. :scratchhead:

Welcome to NPORA! :welcome:

Welcome raz!!

Sorry, I don't know the newer pathys well so not much help here.

Plenty of people are though. Check out the R50 (96-2004?) section and search around. Whatever you want to do with your truck, I'll bet someone else has already.

Within reason, that is... :D

B

Thanks guys for the warm welcome

I'm definitely going to look at the OME line of suspension. Thanks for the link to Rocky Road.

Currently, I've got 255/65 R16 Michelin LTX on stock rims. They'll probably last another season before I get the 31" BFGs

Thanks again,

Raz