Skid Plates manufacturer...

dududuckling

Hey guys...

I have a 2000 Nissan Pathfinder and I live in Toronto, ON. I have never been offroading and I want to try it for the first time in this coming summer. I have mud tires already installed, and am thinking of installing skid plates and rock sliders prior to the 2" suspension lift (since cost is a factor).

And my question is... Is AC the only manufacturer that still actively produces skid plates for pathfinder? I have checked the rocky road website, but it seems that they only make sliders.

Since I live in Canada, do you guys know if there are Canadian companies that manufacture skid plates and rock sliders for pathfinder? Sometime ago, I read about this guy who custom made skid plates (he goes by the name of Marcel and is a Canadian - please correct me if I am wrong). Is he still active in the manufacturing business?

I am asking these questions not because there is something wrong with importing goods from the states. But I am trying to save cost on the shipping and possibly, taxes.

Thanks for reading this post. Any of your input is much appreciated.

Andrew

Sometime ago, I read about this guy who custom made skid plates (he goes by the name of Marcel and is a Canadian - please correct me if I am wrong). Is he still active in the manufacturing business?

That is correct, however Marcel isn't currently manufacturing skids.

As for sliders, I know of no Canadian companies that make sliders (unless you can find a place that will build you a custom set).

I've got drawings of all the skid plates but I bet it's not going to be any cheaper than AC to have them made and shipped to Canada.

Yeah, it's probably not the greatest idea. :lol:

Hopefully by spring I'll have something figured out to facilitate armour for my rig! :jig:

I've got drawings of all the skid plates but I bet it's not going to be any cheaper than AC to have them made and shipped to Canada.

It'd probably be stronger, though... if it cost the same & you knew you were getting a better product, what would be the issue?...

Edited by Fukinitupagain

Well.....The main underbody skid that would protect the transmission I've got drawn up IS the AC skid. You could add whatever reinforcements you want to make it stronger since it's basically just a huge flat plate with nothing to keep it from folding in half. I drew it up when I was planning on making a modified skid to fit with the drop bracket kit but never went through with it. The front skid came from some plans I got from a guy in Australia. Again...I modified the dimensions to fit with the lower subframe, but I think I've still got the original and modified versions.

Stay tune...i'm almost done with mine...mixed of 1/4 inch for the front and HDPE for the underneath... removable window for the access of the oil filter and countersunk bolts...

Once I have everything setup, i'll be selling them for who is interessted...

i hope to be done by march...

Well.....The main underbody skid that would protect the transmission I've got drawn up IS the AC skid.

I wasn't saying anything about their design, I was speaking of thickness as well as reinforcements & "extras." I'd imagine that any skid fabbed up or mass produced is gonna be from the same basic template since its for the same vehicle.

And fleurys when you get finished start a thread over here & post us some pics

Yup, once those skids are complete, post some pics!

will do... for now here's a rendering from autodesk inventor of the front plate with all the final measurements... The holes location are not final yet since I have a a few key bolts that are broken inside the treads.... need to drill those bolts out first. So I might offer more holes than needed to screw it in place for those stuck with same problem as mine... (question : would this be a good idea ? )

Also , the channels are not done on this rendering but there will be some to accomodate some not so straight patty :-)

cheers.

th_test.jpg

Will the skids fit a 98 Fleurys? If so, I'd be interested.

That's the problem... I really don<t know.... I don't have a 96-99 donor ... I know these models don't have the same powertrain setup, but the unders might be the same. So the front plate and the big one up to the transmission support might still be ok, but I,m more concern about the transfer case one (still not started). I know the the 01-04 have a different TC than the 96-99...

Good photos of the under of a 96-99 might help also if I can't find a loaner...

S.

Edited by fleurys

As far as I know, the skids that Marcel makes fit any year R50.

He set them up so no drilling is required, and the pieces all use stock holes.

The T-case skid may be a bit more difficult. I believe the one I have (From Blackpanther) could use some work, as the mounting points are not optimal.

Good photos of the under of a 96-99 might help also if I can't find a loaner...

I'll crawl under mine and snap some shots of the front end of mine and the transfer case area as well (when its not so cold and snowy out).

As far as I know, the skids that Marcel makes fit any year R50.

He set them up so no drilling is required, and the pieces all use stock holes.

The T-case skid may be a bit more difficult. I believe the one I have (From Blackpanther) could use some work, as the mounting points are not optimal.

What Pezzy said. The mounting locations for all R50's are the same. Pezzy's '99.5 has the same skids as my '98. :aok:

The mounting locations for all R50's are the same

Thanks for all the info...but we'll see.... if you look at my design for the front and compare it to the AC one, you'll see that I went for a larger coverage for the front portion... That's why there is 2 square cuts.. These square are for where the plastic bumper snaps underneath... AC did not bother with that and there plate do not cover the sides like that.

So if you're telling me that the bumper for the 96-99 snaps at the same location as the 99.5-04 then yes it will work...

I have a question : for those who have aftermarket skids, the engine oil drain hole.... I'm thinking, when I do an oil change, the pressure at the beginning is pretty high, and the oil does not really goes down staright... it goes kinda in an angle until the pan is almost empty.... Looking at the whole AC made for access at the draining plug, it must be a freaking mess when you change the oil ??? Is it the case ?? did you develop some kind of trick to change the oil without spreading oil all over the inside of the skidplate ?

I have a idea how to solve it but wanted to know if it was really an issue like I think it is...

Thanks

Draining oil isn't an issue, I have a Fram Sure Drain. It comes with a replacement drain plug & cap... you take the cap off, and connect the supplied hose to the plug, and it will drain thru the hose... This can be fit thru any of the holes that are in the skidplate.

The difficult part is the oil filter, as the front skid need to be removed, or at least moved, to get to.

Draining oil isn't an issue, I have a Fram Sure Drain. It comes with a replacement drain plug & cap... you take the cap off, and connect the supplied hose to the plug, and it will drain thru the hose... This can be fit thru any of the holes that are in the skidplate.

The difficult part is the oil filter, as the front skid need to be removed, or at least moved, to get to.

Oil filter relo kit is your answer, Pezzy! :aok:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=360115550423 :clickdalink:

You said Fram Sure Drain has a kit for the R50? Do you have a part #? :scratchhead:

I dunno about that one... we bought the Transdapt oil filter relocation kit and tried to install it twice. Failed entirely the first time, second time Simon got it in, but it leaked like a mofo as soon as I started the truck.

Sure Drain: I dont have the # off hand, but I have the package in the truck, I should be able to get that for you.

Just bought one on ebay seconds ago.... I understand fram stop making these in 2004.... so the one that are available are NOS (New Old Stock).... according to the application guide, you will need the SD3....

here's the link to the ebay store that I bought from.... http://cgi.ebay.ca/Fram-Sure-Drain-Oil-Plu...p3286.m20.l1116

I have a feeling, these will go fast....

Tks pezzy,

*update: here's the lnkfor the application guide : http://www.jegs.com/pdfs/SureDrain.pdf

Edited by fleurys