Hello from Georgia

blackboat

Hi all, My name is Rob and I've just bought a blue 1990 XE 4x4 5 spd. Has 191,000 on it, but was a one owner car with a reasonable, but not perfectly, documented history. I'm afraid I wasn't intentionally after a Pathy, but due to some serious health issues had to sell my Dodge diesel to raise cash and I needed some basic transport until I'm back on my feet again. I'll confess I wanted a 4Runner, but they seem to go for more money, so when I found the Nissan I grabbed it. I am tickled to have a 4x4 since I sold the last Willys a few years back.

While it is an XE, it's loaded with most power options and everything still works. Over the next couple of weeks it'll be getting general maintenance and I'll put a new timing belt in just to be safe. I think I've got a couple of worn bushings in the rear to chase down.

The most irritating problem is the speedometer: It won't go above 55 and isn't tracking accurately below. Also, when I shut it off, the speedometer is still reading 20 mph. Not looking forward to fixing that. I do need to put some tires on it and am chasing down some lego wheels off some parts cars right now (I've got the smaller chrome wheels). Once I get my final tire size then I'll work on the speedo, since if I go to 31's I'll need a different speedo drive anyway. In the meantime I'll just use a GPS and make some notes on engine rpm in different gears and speeds.

I did do a fair amount of research while I was waiting for my Dodge to sell, so I avoided the rusted out frame problem.

Ideally, I'd like to eventually get this thing set up with some bigger tires, but not over 31". I don't know if I'll need to do a small body lift or not, doesn't seem like there's much room in those fender wells. I will use the Pathy for hunting and fishing expeditions so I want a little bigger tire, but I'll just need to get thru muddy roads. Don't want such huge tires that affect mpg and stress suspension components. I don't expect to do a lot of rockcrawling type stuff, and I do need to keep it in shape as my DD.

I will make some brackets to mount my high lift jack and shovel left over from the Jeep. I also want one of those safari rack/baskets, partly because I've always liked the look and partly because that would make a semi protected place to mount lights. I like having some extra lights for the sides and rear; I've found this is a great help when setting up camp,etc.

Rock sliders, brush guard/bumpers I may play with building my own eventually(I have a medium sized machine shop at home). I would really love to get a winch (never have had one), but that's for down the road. Seat swap would be nice as they don't feel so comfortable. May make a field trip to Pull-a-part tomorrow to get some ideas.

Have enjoyed browsing the site and finding tips on things like the rear seat hinge mods - I like simple effective stuff like that. All in all I'm pretty tickled with my little Nissan; it's added some cheer to what's been a very trying time in my life.

Rob

You should have no problem with 31"s on stock setup and I am getting that you want to run them on legos so your basiclly running a stock option setup, just may have to touch the torsion bars a little if they are sagged. Other wise :welcome:

Hey Rob, welcome to NPORA!!

I'm sorry to hear about the tough times, lets hope they smooth out soon.

I'm glad you like your 'little Nissan', although I'm sure it seems like it compared to a full sized truck. Still, they are very reliable and a useful platform.

So, as to the speedo, I don't know much about the manual drive units. I drove a 95 (electronic unit) without a speedo for 2+ years, but it is nice to have one working again.

Many WD21s came from the factory with 31" tires, they can handle it, but not much more stock. You shouldn't have to do anything other than perhaps adjust the torsion bars if they have sagged.

(I have a medium sized machine shop at home

Ok, I'm jealous....

I'm a machinist that doesn't have a home or a home shop... yet. :D

If you search around and question some members, you can find all sorts of information on upgraded parts fabrication that are useful, effective and cost effective. Certainly if you have the time, means and inclination... :shrug:

:beer:

B

Thanks everyone! Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread, but I've been busy searching my little fingers off.

Trying to get the Pathy sorted out: Slightly rough idle and a bit jerky when sort of coasting at neutral power. Nervous about the timing belt; just finished filling out an order for Rock Auto, but haven't hit the send button yet. Going to look under the hood in the morning and see if there are any service stickers there (noticed that in a post).

Need to order some shocks; they're making so much racket I can't figure anything else out about the suspension until they're done.

Of course I ordered stereo part and pieces today, important stuff first :)

Tomorrow I'm supposed to pick up some lego wheels and spare gauge cluster and some roof racks. I did cure the speedometer: the needle was bent and dragging on the face. It broke when I tried to bend it, but at least now it's registering correctly.

Some GPS mounting stuff is on the way too.

It's all coming together and I believe when I'm done I'll have just a little over $2000 in the car, and have it in a state where I trust it to go wherever I want.

Now if I could just find some comfortable seats to swap in....

Thanks,

Rob

It's all coming together and I believe when I'm done I'll have just a little over $2000 in the car, and have it in a state where I trust it to go wherever I want.

Now if I could just find some comfortable seats to swap in....

Sounds real nice!! I paid 1/2 again as much for my truck, before additions (mostly planned). I understand that SE seats are far more comfortable and some people have swapped in Maxima seats with a little mounting rail work...

:beer:

B