Loose steering

silver97ex

So my pathy pulls to the left normally when its dry. I have play in ALL tie rod ends and the centerlink. Brand new oem ones are in my back seat (too cold to do it now). I noticed that when the ground is slick with snow or icy conditions, the steering is very loose. I know it sounds dumb, "Duh idiot, you are on ice!" but I'm not talking about inches of snow, just a light misting on the road and it happens. Just seems like there is a lot of play in the steering before anything happens and it doesn't really pull at all either. I am thinking it is the looseness in my steering components. I can't think of why the slick roads would do that though. Do you agree or can you think of anything else?

Maybe really bad toe and the slippery roads allow it to "drag"?

Edited by silver97ex

If you're in 4wd when this is happening, it's not uncommon. The front wheels will try to pull against one another, and won't be tracking straight given that you've got play in all your steering components.

Even in 2wd, the same is true, only, to a lesser extent.

Edited by Simon

Thanks simon, yeah it does it in both 2 and 4wd. I am hoping once I change the parts (installing them at the same time as the lift that is sitting in my living room) and get an alignment it will be a lot better. At sometimes it feels a bit dangerous.

Thanks simon, yeah it does it in both 2 and 4wd. I am hoping once I change the parts (installing them at the same time as the lift that is sitting in my living room) and get an alignment it will be a lot better. At sometimes it feels a bit dangerous.

one more thing that makes for scary steering in 4wd... if you have a bad cv joint or some other drag on one side of the front suspension on loose snow or ice. under acceleration it will pull one direction and once you let off the gas it will jerk you back the other way. also if you dont have the bump stops on your suspension the cv's can bind under full droop and the steering wheel will take you for a ride if your not paying attention.

one more thing that makes for scary steering in 4wd... if you have a bad cv joint or some other drag on one side of the front suspension on loose snow or ice. under acceleration it will pull one direction and once you let off the gas it will jerk you back the other way. also if you dont have the bump stops on your suspension the cv's can bind under full droop and the steering wheel will take you for a ride if your not paying attention.

Ohhhhh yeah. Definitely true :aok: