new guy checking in!

mikeinIdaho

Wanted to say hi to everyone. Lurking on this Forum for the last couple of weeks convinced me that my (new to me) 93 SE Pathfinder with 218k miles was the right choice.

I found this pathy at a lowend car lot, where they were asking 2300.00-ended up making an offer of 1200. out the door, and she was mine!

While the mileage is a little scary for me, the engine fired up with no trouble and immediately settled on a smooth idle at around 700RPM. It pulls strong up to 70mph plus, the Manual trans is smooth, also now that we have snow in North Idaho I got to really check out the 4X4. Shifting the transfer case is flawless!

I do not however have the service records, and am concerned about the timing belt-is there an inspection to check or should I just have it changed?

And for tires, I plan on using this Pathy as a daily driver and for fishing and hunting using the forestry roads, so what would somebody reccomend?

For now I plan on keep her stock under the hood and suspension-but I am sure that will change in the future!

Again, Hi and I hope to see ya in the woods!

Welcome Mike!! There is a thread here about what to look for (problems) with a new truck.

As long as the frame is sound (check it out) $1200 is not a bad price, and as perhaps you have learned, 200k+ miles is midlife for these engines. They won't win any races, but they'll get you to the finish line over and over again.

About the timing belt the change interval for that year is 55 or 60k miles (can't remember exactly right now). To inspect it takes as much work as replacing it and they are pretty cheap. If you are mechanically inclined, I highly recommend that you replace it; it is probably the #1 killer of these trucks other than auto tranny failure or accidents. Doing it yourself will save a lot of $, although you will generally want to inspect/replace some seals and hoses while you are at it. :shrug: We have several good write ups on how to do it, not to mention factory service download links. ;)

As for the manual tranny, drain and refill it with 75w90 GL-4 only but it needs to be overfilled as per this TSB.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2621

Motor upgrades are limited and expensive but some suspension work can be done fairly easily and cheaply.

If you have any additional questions, search around a bit, then ask about what you can't find in the Garage or WD21 90-95 sections...

:beer:

B

@ 218k sounds about time for its 3rd timing belt. I would change it just to be on the safe side, check the how-to section you'll find its not too hard on these vehicles.

Also search for the pathfinder Mileage Poll too boost your confidence about the longevity of yor engine (if well maintained) I think there are a few over 300k that still run pretty good.

My '89 has 212k ran great (and will again when I get injectors) with no major engine work. But me and my dad before me were the original owners so we've tried to take great care of it to make it last.

• 2 weeks later...