scary bearing noise.....

ok i went wheelin last week end. got a little trail damage nothing to major other than bending the idler arm. on the way home in 2WD the steering was really sensitive (assumed to be because of the idler arm) and was randomly jerking the wheel a little, i figured this was from bump steer or something. well the next day when i go to drive to work i started to get this really bad bearing squeal from what sounded like the DS front wheel. so i repacked the wheel bearings (the inners looked a little dry) and took it for another spin, after about 1 mile it started up again. i figured that the inner bearing was toast so i went and picked up another one last night and put it in new race and all. and went for a drive, the damn thing is still squealing, but not all the time. the outer bearings had no sign of wear and were well greased, could the outers be the noisy ones? i thought maybe it was the bearing in the hub, but they are tight and well greased as well. these bearings maybe have 3000 miles on them since i replaced them last. could bad alignment cause premature bearing failure? my toe was way out, i had almost 1.25" difference from front to back. today while driving to get lunch it wasnt squealing at first but then i hit a bump and it started squealing again, then when i hit another bump it stopped for a little while.

i hope that its not the tranny. i just put that one in earlier this year. it was a 150k mile used one. i thuroughly cleaned it inside and out before installing it. added the extra oil through the shifter hole and also made sure i used gl-4 oil. if it was the notorious tranny noise from improper oiling. would the noise come and go or would it be constant? one more thing, the squealing quiets down if i ride the brakes. but that could be either the bearings or the tranny. couldnt it?

i need some fresh thoughts on whats going on here. thanks in advance

at what speed do you hear the sound ?

does it happen when you turn too ?

odd question when was the last time you filled your transfer case

do you have a straight axle ?

Edited by WiredWrong

at what speed do you hear the sound ?

STARTS AT ABOUT 25-30 MPH

does it happen when you turn too ?

i dont think so, only have driven it short distances in town, no sweeping corners so i have to slow down to make the corners.

odd question when was the last time you filled your transfer case
when i put the tranny in earlier this year.... but it really sounds like its coming from the front.. but i can check the erl in the xfer.

do you have a straight axle ?

not yet... stock IFS for now

ok, i fixed my idler arm and build a brace for it (will post a thread on that in a bit) and now no more noise... i only drove a few miles from the shop to my house. will take it for a longer drive in the am and see if things change. could it have just been from the fawked up alignment from the bent idle arms in conjunction with the cheap chinese bearings?

Got a rock stuck in your brake dust shield?

A rock would not make that kind of noise , more like a grinding sound .

none the less check both rear and forward parts of the disc to rule that out .

chinese bearings lol where did you get that junk from :P

Edited by WiredWrong

It really sounds like wheel bearings to me. And yes, your toe being that far out could cause early failure. And rocks will "squeel" when caught in the dust shields if they can touch the rotor. Bailey.

Maybe your right on the squeel ; but out of all years being a salary mechanic I've only ran across it going squeel when you have a foreign object in it or there is a malfunction with the caliper

. A rock is way to big for a squeel

Maybe your right on the squeel ; but out of all years being a salary mechanic I've only ran across it going squeel when you have a foreign object in it or there is a malfunction with the caliper

. A rock is way to big for a squeel

definitely not the brakes.... and i got the Chinese bearings from Schucks... aka Kragen (partsamerica.com) they are a low end bearing imported by SKF "A bearings", but they have china printed on the races. they were 11.99 for the inners incl the races. the next ones up were 27 for the inners, if i wasnt planning on cutting the IFS off in the near future i would have sprung for the better bearings. i'm gonna give it a run at freeway speed tomorrow now that i can since i fixed my scary steering.

assfinder%20052_360x480.jpg

assfinder%20058_360x480.jpg

I have my IA braced and still tweaked it, I keep destroying the bushings.

Me too. Luckily, bushings are cheap, and it's an easy job to replace. I don't really care if I have to do them once a year or so.

Me too. Luckily, bushings are cheap, and it's an easy job to replace. I don't really care if I have to do them once a year or so.

so back to the squeal.... it seams to have stopped for now, but i noticed a drag in the tranny in neutral. after i started it this morning i let out the clutch and the thing moved forward just a tad. normally when its cold i notice a little drop in rpm, just enough to be noticed. i hope i don't have a bearing going tits up on me. i just put that damn thing in there. im going to check my fluid level tomorrow after work in the heated shop (working in a wet driveway in 40 degrees is not fun)