01 LE Pathfinder Engine Noise

CDNBullrid

My pathfinder started making noise about a year ago. At first it went away when the engine warmed up, but now it is here to stay.

It has the same sound as if a bearing was shot on an idler pulley, so i removed both belts and the sound was still there. I opened up the little cover over the waterpump? (in red)

The noise seemed to be coming from a little higher. Is this the camshaft under this cover? (in green)

post-4049-1226442035_thumb.jpg

I dont know what I should do next. I dont want to take it in yet. I am a Ag. Mechanic so I know how to use a wrench. Anyone had anything similar. I felt the chain when i had the one cover off as in the top picture, it felt tight. I dont know what path the chain runs though so it could have been on the tight side anyway.

Idler bearings - Eliminated

Alternator - Eliminated

A/C clutch - Eliminated

Fan clutch - Eliminated

Edited by CDNBullrid

Water pump bearings? Mine makes a little bit of noise too but not as much as yours.

I will echo this diagnosis as mine too is making a bit of a squeal but couldn't be bothered to repair it. Also the FSM points us in this direction with the NVH chart. See the NVH chart in the link below:

Water Pump Noise - FSM

Edited by Daddy Rim

thanks for the info. has anyone done the repair themselves and has a list of instructions for me. I know it is a fairly large job. Or has anyone had this done at a shop and can tell me the approx time it took for it to get done. any help would be much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

replaced the waterpump, noise is still there. Took to nissan dealer. they suggested it might be the timing chain. My pathy has little under 100k miles on it. They are thinking it might be stretched and running over the tensioner a little sloppy. Has anyone seen this before? Has anyone had this fixed? dealer guessed at about 2k for the bill to replace it. where could i find prices of just the chain?

• 1 month later...

I started to get the same noise, but it goes out after warmup though....

here's some info for your chain, but i guess you already knew this by now.... di it turned out to be the timing chain ??

Timing chain, pathfinder - vq35de - VQ35DE

01-04 $82.08 $61.56

info was taken from everythingnissan.com