New exhaust

SilverPath

Well, a few weeks ago I finally got all the parts I needed to do a catback exhaust of my own. It consisted of a magnaflow y-pipe, a cheap free flowing turbo muffler(kinda like the Thrush) and some random pipe.

IMGA0005l.jpg

I cut the stock muffler off and started from there, I Yd the two downpipes together and boosted the diameter up to 2.25".

IMGA0007.jpg

then I attached the new muffler directly to the y.

I went to the local Baxters and picked up a few bent pieces of pipe, they are not mandrel bent so I went up a 2.5" pipe as to not have as much restriction. The 2.25" 90 was almost flat :( .

IMGA0004.jpg

I finally exited the system right behind the rear passenger wheel like factory, only a little larger :)

IMGA0003.jpg

Here is a picture of the old system laying next to the new. Lots of restriction in the old but it flows much better now. If you can see I chopped off one of the old hangers and mounted it to the new system.

IMGA0001.jpg

Here is a short video of what the new system sounds like.

th_PathyNewexhaust.jpg

I personally like how it turned out and as a week has gone by its already starting to sound even better with the break in.

For fun I decided while removing the old system, to cut it off in different sections to see what kind of sounds I would get. The first is with the resonator.

then without, then with out the muffler. I liked the sound of no mufflers but the neighbors not so much :) Anywho here is my little experiment

th_Pathyoldsystem.jpg

Enjoy.

Edited by SilverPath

• 3 weeks later...
And Tek we are just that lucky...I mean unluckey :) Though its alright, I like making random angles fit together.

I couldn't agree with you more! Custom fab is always fun because it gives your vehicle that unique, one-of-a-kindness. I look forward to making up a custom exhaust for my rig in the spring :jig:

It's just so silly that Nissan rerouted the piping on the Xterra because that could be a universal application for the R50 as well. Grrr... :angry:

Your second vid is very cool...lots of folks will now know what their truck sounds like with those pieces removed...great vid!

The first vid is good too, sounsd pretty leak free! Did you cover the tail pipe while it was running to locate any small openings?

Isn't it crazy that those 2 pee-shooters at the front handle that much noise, and pass it on rather quietly?

Your second vid is very cool...lots of folks will now know what their truck sounds like with those pieces removed...great vid!

The first vid is good too, sounsd pretty leak free! Did you cover the tail pipe while it was running to locate any small openings?

Isn't it crazy that those 2 pee-shooters at the front handle that much noise, and pass it on rather quietly?

Thanks, yea I had a few leaks up front, the 1-3/4" stock pipes had some slop in them where I clamped onto the y-pipe. I took some atomic putty, and sealed up the tiny holes up front. Now shes leak free. Its always amazing how much a stock muffler quiets all cars :(