1st post: 2003 Oz Pathfinder in the W.Indies

SurfPath

Ahoy Fellow Pathys,

My 2003 Oz Pathfinder, built for Australian market, is located in the West Indies (figure that?). For you cricket fans I have seen Australia tour twice over here and, although we in the WI have struggled of late, it is always a good party.

My Path is a great vehicle for navigating our uneven roads, as well as hauling boats, beach gear and kayaks.

Last week my wife, bless her heart, backed into the rear bumper of another car and dinged the driver (RHS) door panel (see attached photo). I am seeking a replacement for this panel (basically it's a plastic molding that covers the bottom portion of the outside door).

Since it's difficult and very expensive for me to order parts from here (I was quoted $1,500 US by the dealer), I was hoping to order the panel (from the US/UK?).

My two questions

1. Will there likely be a difference in the body parts for this model (for ordering in the US/UK)?

2. Can anyone here source a part number for me (or better yet, a PDF parts manual for the 03)?

Thanks a million,

Surfpath

post-6583-1225303270_thumb.jpg

Welcome to NPORA.

You can find the FSM for your pathy *here* (clicky)

Are you replacing /fixing the door also?

Being that the piece is plastic, can it be taken off and bent back into shape, possibly with the help of some heat??

It looks to me like you've damaged the sheet metal under the plastic panel, as well. So even if you replaced the panel, it wouldn't line up properly without the door itself being repaired.

Those panels come unpainted, so you would have to have it painted to match the truck, too.

Thanks for the link Pezzy I am downloading it now,

Aha, it's called the exterior "Side Guard Molding," "SEC. 766" I wonder if this is a part number? Either way, the info will help if I am to order it.

Yes, the door hinge itself got bent, causing it to drop about 4cm when it's opened and making it difficult to close. The metal door panel at the 'impact site' is also dinged a bit.

I will ask a local shop to fix these (one guy said the hinge could be bent back?)

Actually the plastic 'dent' on the panel has popped back out now, but it is still misshapen, expecially at the crease.

It's pretty amazing what some of these local shops can do. It's because of the cost of importing parts (and cars).

When you buy a car here you typically have to "buy another one" for the Tax Man.

Any other suggestions on my repair would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Vengeful,

Thanks. I'll take a look under, as you said.

I also have another ding at the back. This time mother nature. Just after I got the Pathfinder we had a Cat 4 Hurricane.

The next morning I noticed this dent. I have not repaired since (things take a long time to get done here). But I figured I'd get it done now that I have another.

Any ideas on this one. I think they will just try to "suction cup" the dent out.

Surfpath.

It looks to me like you've damaged the sheet metal under the plastic panel, as well. So even if you replaced the panel, it wouldn't line up properly without the door itself being repaired.

Those panels come unpainted, so you would have to have it painted to match the truck, too.

post-6583-1225298220_thumb.jpg

Ouch, that's a good one.

I gave that same rear quarter panel a good dent (they don't like being slammed up against muddy walls... who knew??). Mine was closer to the tail light... Simon managed to reshape it by taking of the interior panel and pushing it back out. It's almost back to it's original shape, much better than the dent! (and it was free!)

OK,

Last one the repair list (all the ghost are coming out of the closet)

This one was (OK, I'll admit it) my fault.

Right after the hurricane I backed over, and knocked down, a lamp post at work!

The crazy thing, and I remember this as if it were yesterday, I did not feel a thing, just a slight tap.

These Pathfinders are well built and well insulated. I contend that if you ever hear a slight impact nose in a Path, it's likely to be something bigger.

Pictures of the damaged bumper (will require pulling out the steel "girder" behind the bumper), and the KO'd lamp post attached!

[quote name='Pezzy' date='Oct 29 2008, 08:54 AM' post='347111']

Ouch, that's a good one.

I gave that same rear quarter panel a good dent (they don't like being slammed up against muddy walls... who knew??). Mine was closer to the tail light... Simon managed to reshape it by taking of the interior panel and pushing it back out. It's almost back to it's original shape, much better than the dent! (and it was free!)

post-6583-1225303802.jpg

post-6583-1225303820.jpg

So all the power of a hurricane couldn't bring the post down, but a mighty Ozzie R50 did.

What a machine :aok:

Geoff

PS Those plastic side mouldings where only fitted to the TI model R50s.

If its any help when ordering it

Edited by Geoff57

Welcome to NPORA.

You can find the FSM for your pathy *here* (clicky)

Are you replacing /fixing the door also?

Being that the piece is plastic, can it be taken off and bent back into shape, possibly with the help of some heat??

Do they have the FSM for the '98?

Yup Geoff,

It bowled that lamp post straight over. I barely noticed it. In fact I continued to drive off. It was the stares of a few work mates that made me stop.

ps. thanks for the ordering tip on the panel. Looks like it will cost a lot to get a new one from Nissan.

pss. Any one, especially stateside, with ideas about where I can get a panel for cheap in the US?

Cheers

So all the power of a hurricane couldn't bring the post down, but a mighty Ozzie R50 did.

What a machine :aok:

Geoff

PS Those plastic side mouldings where only fitted to the TI model R50s.

If its any help when ordering it