Cams

Lifter shimming? Is that why my VG sounds like a sewing machine? I have a set of reground cams from Schneider and thought the noise might have been the new lifters I bought since I got them from some Ebay store. I was considering resurfacing my old lifters and swapping them back in but how would one go about shimming lifters?

A stack of fender washers. :hide:

LOL, on one of the z31 sites there is a write-up on how to take apart the lifters (they are a very simple little setup) how to clean them, measure the total amount of "lash" and how to shim them internally so that there is a limited amount of give in them, so they have less tendency to collapse at high rpm and they will rattle less at low rpm. i'm trying to find the article but for some reason i cant find it, but when i do i will post it up for everybody.

LOL, on one of the z31 sites there is a write-up on how to take apart the lifters (they are a very simple little setup) how to clean them, measure the total amount of "lash" and how to shim them internally so that there is a limited amount of give in them, so they have less tendency to collapse at high rpm and they will rattle less at low rpm. i'm trying to find the article but for some reason i cant find it, but when i do i will post it up for everybody.

HERE IS ONE VG30 LIFTER REBUILD PAGE:

VG30 LIFTER REBUILD

HERE IS THE WRITE-UP ON MAKING A "SOLID" LIFTER THAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT:

SOLID/HYDRAULIC LIFTER HYBRID.. ON Z31.COM