Waterjet, CNC Laser cutter...

kmgar99

Does anyone have access to or know of a shop with a Waterjet, or laser cutter in SoCal? I am seriously ready to start building, sliders, skid plates, lift kits (Copied Tyler's design). I have fairly large quantity of steel and have built several items for friends (Not Pathy owners but i don't hold a grudge). Would be so nice to have the steel cut for me. I know it wouldn't be cheap, but i can't find anyone locally that will even give me a price because they're not open to the public or i don't have enough cuts.

I guess i could make friends with jesse James @ West Coast Choppers and use his machine....Sorry, fell asleep for a minute....i'm back to reality

most those machines run off of CAD drawings. If you can do it up on CAD for them so that all they have to do is set the start/stop for each cut and bring it in on a disc thats less work for them which may make them more willing. I have a waterjet next door, I just wish it wasn't "government use only" wait how'd I make that ball joint spacer...

Thanks for the feedback.....I already asked the metal suppliers and they won't cut pieces as small as i need. I need 3'x3' 1/4" Plate cut into 6-7" long X 3-4" wide pieces for backets and bracing. Fortunately i've been getting my steel for free (No it's not stolen), my company makes all their own equipment and the left overs are tossed in the recycle bin. The sizes i get aren't consistant, but 2x2 thick wall square tube and 1/4" thick plate is abundant.

Great idea on the CAD drawing thing. I have access to CAD at work....not that i know how t use it! But i know i could bribe our machine shop supervisor with some libations......

I don't call it stealing either but beware your company prolly gets $$$ back from all the steel it recycles I'd hate to see the wrong person see you take out of the recycling bin. Thats how it is over here anyway.

Fortunately i've been getting my steel for free (No it's not stolen)

It's called job perks. If my boss ever questioned me picking up a $5 piece of metal and putting it in my truck, I'd ask him how that compares to $ I save the company every day with my innovations... (laymans terms "Kiss My Ass!!")

I have access to CAD at work....not that i know how t use it!

If it comes down to that, I have a good CAD program... I'm not an expert, but I can get it done.

B

I don't call it stealing either but beware your company prolly gets $$$ back from all the steel it recycles I'd hate to see the wrong person see you take out of the recycling bin. Thats how it is over here anyway.

Thanks for the offer on the CAD program, I have to do some cross training next month with the head machinist, so i'll see if he can give me the basics. I was also thinking of using one of the Mills to do the cutting. I can have the Head MAchinist teach me how to use the digital display thing on the mill to setup each cut.

It's truly not steeling (pardon the pun)....My Manager (Maintenance Manager) has us put all scrap metal in a bin, then once a week the bin is brought to a recycling area we have on site for pickup. The metal is up for grabs by Maintenance, but you must have a form signed by him and the metal must be removed from the bin before it goes to the recycling area. The only thing we can't take is copper and brass.

Edited by kmgar99

Yeah, no problem, just let me know...

Are you talking about the DRO (digital read out X,Y and maybe Z axis) on a manual mill or some sort of a CNC controler? Either way, it can be done fairly easily but arcs will be problematical on a manual machine. I'm assuming the vast majority of your pieces are straight/angled edges. You may be able to cut the pieces out on a vertical band saw and then just use the mill to trim/clean up the edges and make them nice and straight. I'm sure the HM will be able to show you all the little tricks to make it simple. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask though!

B

Yeah, no problem, just let me know...

Are you talking about the DRO (digital read out X,Y and maybe Z axis) on a manual mill or some sort of a CNC controler? Either way, it can be done fairly easily but arcs will be problematical on a manual machine. I'm assuming the vast majority of your pieces are straight/angled edges. You may be able to cut the pieces out on a vertical band saw and then just use the mill to trim/clean up the edges and make them nice and straight. I'm sure the HM will be able to show you all the little tricks to make it simple. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask though!

B

It's a DRO machine. all the cuts i want to do are straight. The few round cuts i do need i can do with t he portaband and jigsaw.....but i try to design everything with straight cuts

I will be asking more specific DRO related questions as i get more in to it.

Thanks for everyones input

Theres a guy that does work for us in Bakersfield I believe. I know 1 shop closed and he let the bank take all of his equipment but this other guy seems to be pretty stable but it may take him some time b/c his production runs take priority over 1 offs but he has done a bunch of 1 offs for us. I'll see if I cant remember his name

Now there is a machine shop in Tehachapi if you have drawings and can deal with him being an very particular (now I've worked with several machinists and know they're all particular and dont want @!*% drawings but this guy takes the cake to the point that he screwed up a simple part for me and I just made it work b/c I didnt want him to find a way to blame me even though he couldnt b/c I make sure my drawings are good B4 he gets them) (no offense B I know it comes with the trade) that is reasonable on price and time. His company is Scott Bomar Machine

Honestly if its just straight cuts I wouldn't be able to justify getting it CNC'd or WJ or any other maching other than possibly using a hydrolic shear to cut plate steel. With the use of a band saw, abrasive blade on a table saw and an air grinder I have made parts consistently within .010-.030 which I believe is much tighter of a tolerance than you will need but then again I have the ability and know how to fabricate stuff so if thats not you maybe its better to have it done by someone else

I've worked with several machinists and know they're all particular and dont want @!*% drawings but this guy takes the cake to the point that he screwed up a simple part for me and I just made it work b/c I didnt want him to find a way to blame me even though he couldnt b/c I make sure my drawings are good B4 he gets them) (no offense B I know it comes with the trade)

LMAO!! No way I could take offense for something that is undeniably true... :D

B

I have never had a problem getting along with a machinist this guy pretty much tells me i'm stupid every time i send something over to him, I think it is mostly b/c my boss and manager are completely ignorant to what it takes to make a part and have sent things over missing dimensions or are just damn near impossible to make and expect him to do it in a couple of hours...that and they refuse to put 3 views on a drawing when its a flat plate and don't understand why he wants the side profile that shows the hidden lines for counter sinks and counter bores...

These guys brought me on board to set up a simple shop here since i'd say 95% of our stuff is flat plate or a flat lug without any requirements for a CNC (a bridgeport would do everything I belive) but yea they haven't followed through with that so we needed these simple bushings made out of some rectangle stock and he was like I don't have time to do it so if you can run a machine i'll let you do it to my manager and as soon as he said ok not a problem I've got a guy he changed his mind but I don't blame him since he had this guy working in there that crashed 2 of his 3 machines within a week

CAD is easy and once you get rolling on a program you can roll into other programs with ease (for the most part) I like parametric programs but have been using a gumby cad program at my current job and I've learned to deal with it but had to change the design procedures. If you throw me some sketches with dimensions I can crunch out some 3D and 2D for ya fairly quickly especially if you want to compensate me for the time

If you throw me some sketches with dimensions I can crunch out some 3D and 2D for ya fairly quickly especially if you want to compensate me for the time

Thanks UNCC.....i'll have to work on the drawings after the holidays....next two month are booked solid with work and family. The first thing i'm building after the holidays is a 4.5" drop bracket system for my 97's front. I'll have to crawl around under my pathy to get the bolt hole measurements. all the pieces will be made from 1/4" steel plate and some 2x2 thick wall steel square tube.

I'd post some pictuers of my protoypes but none of my pictures hosts will work! Always worked before! Here's a link to the pictures from my website

Brackets

Edited by kmgar99

Well, if unccpathy can not CAD for you (ease up Bro, not saying you do not know how... :) ) I have SolidWorks and can probably handle it. "Bar napkin" drawings are fine to start with, Gods know I have seen plenty!!! Let me know...

B

Well, if unccpathy can not CAD for you (ease up Bro, not saying you do not know how... :) ) I have SolidWorks and can probably handle it. "Bar napkin" drawings are fine to start with, Gods know I have seen plenty!!! Let me know...

B

Thanks for the offer too....Like i said, my lift kit is all straight cuts from 1/4" thick mild steel plate. Most pieces 5"x3". Unfortunately the plate is a huge 3 foot square and too big to fit on the mill. I'll have to cut it down on the band saw first, but i really want to cut the final pieces as straight as i can. I'll hit you guys up after the holidays with some drawings and measurements.