steering woahs

Guest kb1jki

Guest kb1jki

I was on a modest incline and the front end started to hop a bit. my friend recorded my ascent and it was clearly visable when the damage was done, as both wheels decided upon very different directions. I hope that the slow crawl home was just because I bent both tie rods and blew out all the bushings in the center link and tie rods. I am seldom frightened, but the tires howeled and the truck bucked all the way home. :wacko:

the steering stabilizer that I should have installed last week probably would have prevented much of the issue, but I have discovered other issues in my recent 3" lift. the upper cv joint boots have split due to the new angles, the sway bar holes are 45 degrees off from the mounts, the tie rod holes are (were) at an angle to the mounts as well.

the brief clip would be an interesting thing to post if that is possible. this is my first post here in this group! has anyone else experienced a similar issue; could there be more of a problem than my guess?

thanx to anyone that may have suggestions.

Have you checked your front end lately, like before you did this. It looks just like you has a worn out tie rod and decided to crap out when you did that.

This can happen anyone that lets front ends get a little too loose.

Jason

With the Stock front end, you have to baby it on hill climbs or anything that requires torque to the front end. Tie rod ends will bend fast and centerlinks will wear out fast. I bent my idler arm by sliding sideways on an off camber section. Do you have an idler arm brace? Check your idler arm to see if it's bent. The best way is to take it off and check because sometimes you can't tell until you put a straight edge against it.

Once you lift the front end, the angles get tight as you know. Best solution is to lower it again an inch or so. Do you have new Upper A arms?

The steering stabilizer woudn't have helped much as it's just the weak design of the front end. When I had IFS, my rule was as soon as the front tires started to spin I took a strap or winched through. To tired of replacing tie rod ends on the trail. On the straight and level trails, you can go anywhere. We have alot of cutlines with very steep sections so it was tough to always drive without hopping the front end.

cant get the video to download so i'm not real sure what it is you're talking about, but i may have a similar problem. I've noticed my front tires wear faster than the rear and they tend to chirp around corners more often than they should. I jacked up one side of my truck so one front wheel was in the air and the other firmly planted. Like this I could steer the lifted wheel a couple inches each way without the other wheel moving. The centerlink is acutally rotating so that the tie rod angles are changing allowing this to happen. Is something in my steering system worn out or is it just poor design. :shrug:

Mookie is there a beefier IFS set up (Tie rod ends,idler, centerlinks, control arm, etc) that a guy could go to instead of a SAS?

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner on the Jamboree. Looks like I won't be able to make it this year......working, thanks for the info, definately gonna try next year though, looks like an awesome outing.

hey man, that video is pretty wild, after reading the other posts, i'm not sure if i ever want to offroad again, i mean, should i worry about things like that? also i'm only 2WD. and the other thing is i do pretty steep and twisted hill climbs, and i haven't broken anything yet. i also just got my front end fixed too, tie rod ends, centerlink, upper and lower ball joints, all that stuff is from the dealer so i don't think it's anystronger, but i changed them because the joints were all shot. so again, should i take it easy or give it hell. (i also just added a steering stablizer)