I slightly hydrolocked the engine...

big_johnson

Long story short:

I moved to crested butte a few weeks ago and went to do some 4-wheel exploring. Find a cool trail (schoffield pass/devils punchbowl for those that know the area) and proceed down to a stream crossing. It doesn't look too deep, so I enter at a higher than ideal rate of speed. Next thing I know, the engine is sputtering and dies right as I reach the other side (around 20 feet total). I know immediately what has happened, so I pop the engine and check the air filter. Soaked. The intake pipe has also managed to pop off the engine block (somehow), and water pours out of it. So, without having any prior experience, I proceed to remove all of the spark plugs with daylight fading quickly (that 6th one is terrible). Cranks the engine, and a bit of water shoots out, but not as much as I would have expected. Re connect everything (still with a slightly wet filter), crank it over and she starts up. Not quite as robust sounding as normal, but running smoothly. So after some normal driving afterward, things seem to be running well.

However, my question is: Would it be very obvious if I had slightly bent a piston/blown a seal/broken something else related?

My concern is that the engine kept (somewhat) running after it took in some water, and this could have caused some serious damage. However, my only "functionality gauge" is how well the engine is running, and it seems fairly normal.

Thanks, Chris

I think you might have got really lucky and that the Maf might have cause the stalling and possibly the spark plugs . But if it did hydro lock you might have bent a rod. in which that it would still run, just one the cylinder is lower on the stroke. What I can't get is that the inlet on the stock air box is right above the tire way up high, so I would think water would at least 2.5 foot deep to get in there. Oh well I guess anything is possible, just next time take you're time crossing and by the way Schofield pass/devils punchbowl is beautiful other than the narrow road( In which is a bitch to pass anybody) also scared the hell out of the wife a couple times on Labor day weekend on the way to Ouray and Telluride. I also went wheeling today with a group to McAllister and other trails by Vail. If you want check out a local nissan group, that goes wheeling go to http://roninwheelers.com/.

David

Edited by Thunderbolt

The actual intake for the airbox is pretty much behind the driver side turn signal, so you don't need very deep water to take in water.

As to the question though, sorry, no idea :) At least you got it trail fixed though!

you did the right thing by pulling the plugs. sounds lke you went east on it, and from my experience, i'd have to say that your VG33 will probably provide you several more years of reliable service

You'll be fine. If there wasn't immediate clunking, clatter or any other abnormalities, you have nothing to worry about.

That said, change your oil, twice in a row at least....

Change NOW (or ASAP) drive around the block

Change it again, put a new filter on for this one.

Reason being, if you did take in water, it's now sitting in your oil pan, not mixing well.

02silver - thanks for the welcome back! mountain biking and college diverted me from this site for a while. But now that I live in a 4wd mecca, I feel the need to pay the pathfinder some more attention.

thunder - thanks for the local info. as for the intake, I actually have the "ghetto" cold air intake with a tube routed to the front bumper. never had issues before, but I wasn't careful enough this time

simon - thanks as well. I do need to change the oil, but was hoping the filter would take care of most of it for now.

everyone else - thanks for the replies!