reverse stoped workin

Guest malakirg

Guest malakirg

:help:

my Pathfinder was running fine then all of a sudden it started slipping out or reverse and then later it stoped working. the rest of the gears work. btw its a automatic... any help wouldbe wonderful!

Guest Handyman

Maybe check your linkage as well.... If you put the shifter inbetween N and R does it work or between P and R.... Wishfull thinking i know but it happens

*shakes hand* Welcome to the club! I have had 2 Pathfinders with this problem. My first one, an '88, just got put back together after an accident and that one hasn't had reverse since about 125,000. Well, it has it, you just have to keep going from P to R or N to R and after 2-4 times it goes in. It now has about 175,000 or so, and at 125,000 I had a tranny shop saying "your whole tranny will burn out in 10,000 or so"...well, I knew that wasn't true so I let it go. And, to be honest, if you're gentle and good to it, it will last for many more miles. But, if you do lots of off roading, I'd get it fixed. I always have to plan that if I get going through mud there ain't no turning back...it's forward or nothing since reverse doesn't always like to work well. But, if you use the car mostly for town or you can handle maybe not having reverse while nearly stuck it will last many more thousands I'm sure. I also just picked up a '92 with the same problem only a little less severe and I plan on making that one last for another 50,000 at least as well. Anyway, my point is, you don't need to get it fixed (assuming it's what my problem is) but just make sure the fluid is where it needs to be and make sure it isn't overheating. If it starts slipping bad and overheating then it probably would be wise to have it rebuilt and a new tranny cooler put in (since I've read on here the stock ones suck and I would have to agree). Anyway, I wouldn't get it fixed unless you start having more problems. And, yes, check the linkage...that could be an easy fix but my guess would be you have the dreaded Pathy reverse ghost. Good luck.