Idle

rjfortuna

Here are a few questions I was hoping to get some responses from you all about.

My truck when cold idles at about 1300 to 1400 RPM It takes a LONG time to get to about 800 where it is a warm idle. It wont idle at the 800 till the needle is straight up and down in the temp gauge. is this normal?

When its hot out the temp needle gets over to the right of the middle of the temp gauge when running the A.C. Its just a bit right from the middle of the temp gauge. Is that normal? I'm in Texas and it can get + 100 here. In the mid to low 90's it stays in the middle of the temp gauge.

Normal?

Thanks RJ

What year?

Edit: NM looked at your profile. Your "Thermo Element" is probably bad or out of adjustment. It is on the front of the TBI and has a screw that the throttle arm rests on.

Edited by GrimGreg

theres also another screw; when your engine is "in warm up" there should be a fast-idle-cam with 2 tick-marks on it pushing down on your throttle. the screw grimgreg was talking about ajusts how much it increases your warmup idle. there is a smaller (flathead IIRC) screw toward the top of this cam where its actuator is, this screw sets the temperature that the fast-idle-cam starts to back off.

Hope that solves it.