Service Engine Soon Light

Hey, I just drove from Memphis to Dallas and on my why the SES light came on. It came on 5 minutes after I filled up with a full tank of gas, but also right after I shift from 5th to 4th to change a CD in my CD player. Question?....I double check the fuel cap add made sure it was on tight, also disconnected the battery and reconnected it but the light its still on. If it was the gas cap how long untill the light goes out? Also could shifting it from 5th gear to 4th at highway speeds 70mph cause the SES light to come on? Thanks for any help. If it's still on tomorrow I might just stop by Autozone and have them check it. Thanks. :confused: :angry:

Guest Jettix2

No a shift from 5th to 4th should not make the SES light come on.

Most likely it is an emission related item (o2 sensor, etc).....if the fault is no longer present, the light might clear itself after a certain amount of time/# of ignition cycles, I'm not sure.

Ben

Well, on my way back from Dallas my SES light came on again, but this might have been do to the fact that I had less then 3 gallons of gas left in the tank before we filled it up. The SES light came on when I was way past "E" on my gas gauge. Needless to say, when I got back home the first thing I did was hook it up to my buddies' computer. He has a program that reads what your car is doing. The only code that came on was something about an O2 sensor in bank 2 sensor 2. It showed at 99.2%. My friend cleared the code for me and the SES light has not come on in the last 3 days, but we tested it to day and bank 2 sensor 2 still shows 99.2% as well as bank 1 sensor 2, but there are no error code and the SES light has was not on. My question is, is this normal? Bank 1 sensor 1 and Bank 2 sensor 1 show any where between 1 to 15% when car is driving/stopped, but bank 1 sensor 2 and bank 2 sensor 2 only show 99.2% at both driving and stop? All the sensor are showing to work as far as getting power but is the 99.2% correct? :shrug: