is anybody familiar with the power lock system in the R50?

FUELER

OK let me start with a little bit of history.

Someone unsuccessfully attempted to break into the drivers side door by breaking the door lock.

P6210173.jpg

Then i started having problems, that the interior door handle would stick out a few millimeters furter than it used to, and it would LOCK all 5 doors everytime i simply touched the door handle. I mean even the lightest touch, like a feather, would trigger the power door locks to lock. It was bizarre.

video for those who are curious what i am talking about

th_lockproblenms.jpg

But the keyless entry worked fine the whole time this was going on.

Well i finally took off the drivers side inner door panel to see what was happening. First of all, the key lock in the door has two parts - first the metal cylindrical "tumbler" for the key itself, and then on the tip of it, is a smaller electronic cylinder, connected by three wires, that looks like the tip of the key slips into it. When you put the key in the door and turn it once, you unlock that one door manually (meaning the tumbler physically unlocks the door). If you twist it twice, all door unlock electronically, thanks to the second part with wires connected to it.

the little electronic thing looks like this but no blue part.

view2.jpg

well the secondary electronic thing that goes on the tumbler was completely knocked off and dangling, and it was actually jammed into the linkages, causing the interior handle to stick out and also my bizarre locking problem.

The interior door handle is connected to the door latch assembly by two linkages - one for the lock and one for the handle.

well the secondary electronic thing that goes on the tumbler was completely knocked off and dangling due to the attempted break in, and it was actually jammed into the linkages, causing the interior handle to stick out and also my bizarre locking problem, (although the keyless entry worked fine for all doors)

I took that piece of the door lock that was dangling, pulled it out of the linkage that it was jammed in, and securely taped it to the interior wall, out of the linkages way and out of the windows way. I will reattach it to a new tumbler when i buy it.

I put everything together and the bizarre door lock problem is fixed - but now i have a new problem with keyless entry.

The remote will unlock the drivers door with one press - press twice and its supposed to open all doors, it no longer unlocks the rest of the doors. Only drivers.

I think this definitely has to do with that electronic piece on the end of the tumbler, which is connected by three wires, but i dont know what could have changed since all I did was free the piece from the linkages it was caught up in, and tape it out of harms way. It was disconnected from the tumbler before (and the keyless worked fine) it is still disconnected and now the keyless has stopped opening all the doors, only drivers side works.

I am wondering if anybody is familiar with how the keyless entry exactly works when it unlocks all 5 doors?

Mr Reverse? i know you have some knowledge of the linkages and what not.

I know this is a problem that is hard to understand over the internet, with no photos, just a bad description, but im crossing my fingers and hoping somebody has some advice anyways.

I will eventually buy a new tumbler, reattach the electronic piece, and hope it works.

I just dont know how the keyless has stopped working when all i did was move the piece out of harms way

Thanks in advance

The electronic part you are refering to tells the anti-theft computer that the key cylinder has turned, unlocking the car, and not that someone has broken a window and unlocked from the inside, or used a slim-jim through the window to open it.

The physical turning part of the electronics might be in the wrong position for the system to know the door is locked or unlocked, or it could have been damaged in the break in attempt.

I would not worry about chasing the problem until you can reconnect it to a properly working key cylinder, as this is probably the cause of the locks acting strange.

The electronic part you are refering to tells the anti-theft computer that the key cylinder has turned, unlocking the car, and not that someone has broken a window and unlocked from the inside, or used a slim-jim through the window to open it.

The physical turning part of the electronics might be in the wrong position for the system to know the door is locked or unlocked, or it could have been damaged in the break in attempt.

I would not worry about chasing the problem until you can reconnect it to a properly working key cylinder, as this is probably the cause of the locks acting strange.

Well Thank you very much for reading my long and confusing question - and and thanks for the info on what that piece of electronic is.

I will wait until i install a new key cylinder - i hope its not expensive!