Turns Over, won't start - No Spark.

Guest David Bartlett

Guest David Bartlett

87 Pathy 3.0L.

It was running yesturday. Rained last night. Now the starter is turning over the engine (proper speed etc.) & proper voltage at battery but no spark at the distributor wire.

What do you guys think?

-------------------------------

Problem Solved.

Ignition Modual Transistor pack went bad. Replace the Ignition Mod. and Transistor pack with a Junk Yard find.

$25cdn cost to repair.

Guest David Bartlett

With the ignition on, I'm getting 12V to the connector on the Ignition coil.

---=---

0 0

0 0

-------

---=--- connector/clip

Bottom right 0 is gnd

Top right 0 is 12V+

---------------------------

Ignition coil reads. 8ohms secondary and 0ohms primary.

You may have a bad coil wire. If the resistance is too high or you have a bad connection at the distributer, getting the thing wet will allow the thing to spark to the nearest ground rather than to the distributer. Have someone try to start it while you stick your head under the hood. IF it's shorting to the block, you'll probably hear a noticeable ticking as it arcs. IF you do it at night, you may even be able to see it. You could also remove the coil wire from the dist and put the end near the block. Crank it over to see if you are getting spark at the distributer end of the wire.

My bro and I just got my 88 back together...minus a bumper. Anyway, we got the water pump, timing belt, etc. changed and started it up. It ran fine for about 5 minutes then started bucking and snorting. We figured it was maybe because it hadn't run in about 5 months. So, we tried to start it again. It wouldn't go. Well, we pushed the pedal to the floor and pumped it and tried all that and finally got it going again and it ran fine...then after a couple minutes started sputtering like it was running on way less than 6 cylinders. We tried a new coil and started it and it did the same thing...this is the same problem I had last November and I changed all of the plugs, distributor, etc. etc. We checked all that stuff over again and even put new plug wires on. My only other guess would be an O2 sensor (assuming 1988's have this) or something like the electronic control module things or whatever they are. Anyone have any ideas about this? Today it ran fine...took it to the store and drove around for about a half hour. It seems to do it intermittently...which are always the easiest things to diagnose...right guys??? :P

Also, head gaskets are fine so it's not getting coolant in the engine...I'm 99% sure it's something either electrical or fuel pump but the fuel pump is squirting gas fine and was changed a year or so ago. Also, everything sparks. But, if anyone knows of a common problem like this help would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll just drive it and if it doesn't start just hang out for a bit until it does. Haha.