HOA's

Red87Path

Slick, no offense, but I'd force an HoA to take me to court before I let them tell me what to do... and I'd make sure to make their lives miserable in the process.

have at it dear, but you'll lose yer ass. trust me, i KNOW.

Somehow I've got a feeling an HOA is in a better position to make your life miserable.

yup.

Unfortunately, those HOA's and CC&R's are YOUR problem to deal with, and most of the newer versions have some bite, they can fine you and/or LIEN your property, as in you can't sell without dealing with it. I work in real estate title, and this is some of the stuff I see daily. "I didn't know" simply doesn't cut it at all, you will lose. When you signed to buy your place, and also usually if you signed a rental app for a house in a newer neighborhood, you also signed to accept documents detailing these rules (CC&R's, among others), and to agree and abide by the rules (look at the contract and stack of paperwork sitting in your closet or file cabinet), and to accept their penalties. Pretty much, you're stressed out while buying your house, here's a 100pg+ stack of stuff with a couple pages that could screw you, please sign. There are some ways around some of the stuff, or maybe you have cool owners that let you slide, but really, you're most likely screwed (based on your local laws, of course). Seller disclosure is generally not an issue, as you were almost guaranteed to have been handed a copy of those CC&R's/rules in that stack of paperwork you were given when you bought your place. I had a fukin-fit at my old place when they told me on like New Years day that I had unauthorized (Christmas) lights in place, only to read that sure as hell, anything other than white was considered against reg's. F- that isht, in my book. You really should be ok in older neighborhoods with CC&R's, as they're usually just protecting against some lost hippie trying to paint their house tye-dye, but the newer crap can kiss my arse. All in all, future homeowners, take note. By signing on the line, you already have given up your rights, and YES, HOA types are generally in full right to make your life hell, and charge you admission. Sign at your own risk.

Bye the way, you wouldn't believe some of the rules I've seen. No commerical vehicles is almost standard, so nobody in repair or construction is allowed to park unless in the garage or behind a fence... if at all. No RV's or boats, of course, then there's "no visible vehicle maintenance" except in a garage, no exterior parking for as short as 24 hours, besides the endless Architectural Control Committees that can control everything down to the exact species and locations that you can plant in your front yard as to be asthetically pleasing to your neighbors. Might as well hand them your rights in a sack along with the docs. "Please sign with your right hand, and extend your left for cuffs..."

:clap:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really... I lived in one for a short while... I say that because they left.

Not too sure how it happened, but an HOA tried to set up in my neighborhood a few years back... most of my street told them to fskc off, but they wound up setting up anyway cause a lot of the older folks liked the idea. However, since we were there first, we weren't about to abide by their petty desires.

And like I said - any HOA that makes unintelligable or otherwise outrageous demands has to be able to prove a legitimate reason for it... At least, that's how the US legal system used to work. Nowadays... eh...

So you never were in one. If they did create one though, who ever buys your place will probably need to join if you ever sell, but for now they have no say on you.

Like I said, if they want anything unreasonable out of me, they better be ready to take me to court. I highly doubt most would honestly be ready to go that far, much less spend that kind of money on something like that.

And if they were, I'd simply move my stuff the night before the court case and tell the judge "sorry, but I couldn't physically do it sooner because *whatever reason comes to mind insert here*"

Be their word against mine, and as the problem's solved

I guess if you're renting, and don't really care about everything that comes along with moving out in the middle of the night then go for it. But if you own the home, you're not just going to move out over night.

To give you an example that pretty much strikes down your first statement about them not ready to go that far. Friend of mine owns a home, and last year received 2 letters from his HOA. First one was to replace the fence in his backyard, because it had been damaged by a storm and was getting old anyways. Second one was to paint a post on his front porch. I guess it had some mildew growing near the bottom from years of being rained on and such. To solve the first one he spent $3K on the fence. He has a huge back yard, and lives on the corner with no neighbors behind. So unfortunately he had to bare the burden of replacing the whole thing himself. To solve the second one he cleaned the pole real well, not going to say it looked brand new, but in my opinion I didn't see anything wrong with it.

Well several months go by, and he receives a letter, I don't remember if it was from the courthouse or from the law firm representing his HOA. The letter states that he is being sued by his HOA for $1200 for not complying with their request about painting the pole. I'm not sure how exactly they justified $1200, guess it was lawer fees, and a bunch of other crap.

As previously stated several times in this thread that not all HOAs are the same, but don't be quick to assume that they won't go that far. After all, that is what they do, that is what their whole thing is. If they didn't pursue things like this no one would take them seriously or abide by them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not justifying them. Personally I think its a fscking joke. Just thought I'd give you a little insight from this side of the country.

Maybe NE Seaboard HOA's just don't care then *shrugs* Dunno...

And 1200 for painting the pole... I'd tell em to come take it by force. No judge in their right mind would award that, especially after proof of purchase for the repairs on the fence and showing the work he had done on the pole already. And if they do, I'd appeal it.