Broken Exhuast Manifold (56k warning)

zbeck

It started as a soft pffft noise, grew to a put-put and eventually sounded like an old volkswagon sent from hell. Not only did it break completely into two pieces, but there are additional cracks that formed and just didn't complete their journey before I pulled it off. Between the 10mm studs on the heads and the 50-tons of catalytic converter hanging off the end of the manifold, it really never had a chance. I thought I would add this for reference, so people can know what kind of problem they are looking for. These are like 2 years old.

beck_ddr_path_broken_ex_man01.jpg

beck_ddr_path_broken_ex_man02.jpg

beck_ddr_path_broken_ex_man03.jpg

beck_ddr_path_broken_ex_man04.jpg

beck_ddr_path_broken_ex_man05.jpg

beck_ddr_path_broken_ex_man06.jpg

beck_ddr_path_broken_ex_man07.jpg

Repeat of a previous picture, but with another huge crack highlighted in YELLOW.

beck_ddr_path_broken_ex_man06_HL.jpg

I know mine is cracked because I can hear a bit of an exhaust leak, I'm just praying it can hold out for as long as possible until I actually have some money to throw at it.

ya, recycle that cat for sure they are almost worth their weight in gold i know in some places there are problems with people crawling under suvs and taller rigs with a battery sawzall and cutting them off to recycle them!!!!!

ya, recycle that cat for sure they are almost worth their weight in gold i know in some places there are problems with people crawling under suvs and taller rigs with a battery sawzall and cutting them off to recycle them!!!!!

are they really? DOH! I just plain threw away my old clogged one when I got my high flow. how much did I miss out on?

• 2 weeks later...

So what about the secondary O2 sensors when ya remove the cats ?? Thats gotta throw a check engine lite and a fault code on the computer ! I've been thinking about this and why there aren't headers for the R50's, but after seeing those pics, it all becomes abundantly clear why not ! It really is poor engineering I would actually come to expect from a domestic manufacturer instead ! LOL !!

I was thinking one may be able to use a new aftermarket pair of manifolds from a VG30 engine and relocate the O2's to just after the bolt up flange using a weld up O2 bung ( Walker # 36339 ), and either a couple of low buck universal Walker cats or trying to eliminate them all together .... but the post cat O2's would then read the cats aren't doing their job ( esp. since they aren't even there ! ) and throw a fault code. I did see those $40 a pair things at 4x4parts.com that are supposed to eliminate that very issue, but I don't see or understand how the heck those are supposed to work !!

Leaves me wondering if one could use a set of say Pacesetter headers from an up to 95 Pathy and mod things like O2 sensor fittings and cats ..... Hmmmmmm ........