90 Pathfinder window issues

CustomBikeMike

Greetings to the group.

I just purchased a 1990 Pathfinder. 3 of the windows not only don't work electrically but slam all the way to the bottom when I hit a bump. I imagine something in the regulator is broke. Seeing as all but the drivers window display the same symptom I am wondering:

1- Is this a known problem with the model?

2- Any advice/shortcut/local knowledge on the repair?

3- Is there a stregthened replacement part I sould persue?

Thanks in advance to all replies.

CBM

First :welcome:

Second-it's 18 years old! Give it a break, things are goeng to wear and break

Third- To me is sounds as you are correct in thinking window regulators

Fourth- I think just the simple fact of having a new part (in this case at least) should be comfort enough thats it's goeing to hang on for a good ammount of time

Sounds like the regulators are done. See if you can pull up on the glass. If you can lift up the window, its time for regulators. I believe all of the regulators have been updated but, all things wear out.

Oh, dont be afraid to introduce yourself to everyone in the New members thread!

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

Second-it's 18 years old! Give it a break, things are goeng to wear and break

Thanks for the reply, :aok: although you seem to think I am maligning the vehicle :shrug: . I am an engineer by profession and one of the things I do is look for trends. On this particular vehicle everything works except the fuel gauge and 3 windows. Any statistical analysis would lead a rational person to wonder if this is an anomoly or demonstrative of a weak point in the system. I am quite knowledgable on Harley Davidsons, and should you ask me about certain issues I would be able to inform you on occasion that you are dealing with a known problem with the motorcycles and "the fix", and that was all I was looking for here. I have little domain knowledge on Nissan Pathfinders. Being the lazy guy I am I decided to search and find a domain knowledge source such as this forum and do a search on my problem. Finding none I posed my original question.

Again, thanks for your reply. I assume by the lack of responses that this is not a common problem and probably just 3 broken regulators/mechanisms.

CBM

I have a 95, not a 90 - but have been plagued by window issues. I replaced the front driver and passenger regulators and motors within the last 4 years. Now the passenger is creepin gup slowly and the driver's side will occassionally slip and I have to push it up. What are the signs of bad regulators vs bad motors?

I was just being a moron on that one, why I don't get mad at things breaking on mine, but it could have had issues with all 4 and someone before hand fixed the one that is most improtant (drivers one) and said to heck with the rest.

I have had 2 regulators break on me over the years. I have owned 3 different pathfinders. 1 was a Terrano in Japan, which never has a regulator break, and the 2 I owned here in the states both had one break on each. As with anything that doesn't age well, YMMV.

But like nunya said, it is 18 years old and it is also @!*%ty plastic holding the whole thing together. You could probably find all of the pieces of plastic in the bottom of the door, and epoxy them back together.

indigent.