Manual Trans Lube in Connectors

M in KC

For those of you who have replaced a clutch on a 5-speed WD21 did you notice any gear lube in the electrical connectors on the gear box? Everyone of mine had some in it. No adverse performance as a result of the lube before or after the clutch job. I was just wondering. And if so what was your remedy? What a PITA it is replacing a clutch is on these pigs. :angry: I guess I'm good for another 186K though. :friday:

Cheers,

M

Nope, my electrical connectors were dry. Is there evidence of your vent tube spewing?

Changing the clutch isn't hard, it's the dismantling 1/2 the truck to get to it thats the biatch!!

Personally, I replaced EVERYTHING in there and put on a resurfaced flywheel, just to make sure I didn't have to go there again for any reason. So far, so good...

B

B, I'll check the vent tube again but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary there.

Yeah, I did the rear main seal, new flywheel, new pressure plate, throw out bearing, u-joint, exhaust from the headers back (minus cat) oh and a new battery to boot. Everything that got touched either got replaced because we were there or it simply fell apart. I guess I shouldn't have to high of expectations as it's 17 years old.

Good job! Yeah, 18 years is bound to take a toll, eh?

I didn't think to replace the rear main seal, but then it's a 95 and I did the clutch in 2004 with 108k on the odometer, so it should be fine. The pressure plate was shot on mine; the clutch disk was only contacting on 1" on the outside. I caught it when 1 rivit was just starting to rub. I think thats why the PO sold it. They just paid for the timing belt replacement, cat back system and a few other things things. My guess is when they got the $1200 estimate for a shop to change the clutch, thy said screw it! Cost me $300 in parts, including replacing all gear fluids...

Say, could the fluid on the connectors be engine oil migrating down from the back of the valve covers? Just a thought...

B

Well, I guess the valve covers could be another source but this motor has never used or lost a drop of oil since new. I'll check on the vent as soon as the weather breaks. We're staring down barrel of triple digit heat here in the midwest with opressive humidity. It's just to friggin hot to mess with it now. As always I do appreciate your insight. This board and its members is one of the reasons I choose to keep my pathgrinder in my stable.