87 Pathfinder AC compressor issue

azscott

Had problems with the AC..blowing cold..then hot..then cold...and so on. Took it to a local AC shop and they said that the compressor was going...actually their words were.."coming apart". Also he said he was picking up vacuum on one of the pressure sides..not sure which one..will find out.

Apparently there is a blockage..and this is causing the temp sensor to kick off the AC...then when the temp drops it will allow it run and blow cold again...hence the on again off again cold air thing.

Well, of course, they want like $1200.00 to replace the compressor, expansion valve and drier..plus evacuate and refill.

So I am having them vacuum the system dry and replace it myself....I have 1200.00 bucks..but it is for body and ssuspension lift mods. Anyway, anyone ever replace their compressor (must have) and how much of an issue is it on the Pathfinder.

Anything I should know before doing it. Might as well go with either Freeze 12 or R134 when i recharge now.

Any words of wisdom...and NO...running no AC here in Az is not an option...:-)

Any good source for reliable compressor..used or?

Scott

Edited by azscott

My words of wisdom:

1) Get the system sealed up really well and stick to R-12. I believe the '87 came with barrier hoses, so if you get it sealed it will stay charged for many years. In AZ, you need all the cooling capacity you can get. With a new compressor and a thoroughly cleaned system you can swap to R134a, but you will be stuck with the reduced cooling efficiency.

2) Don't even consider a rebuilt compressor unless you personally know and trust the rebuilder. Like alternators, most "rebuilds" are now done by untrained children in Mexico. Complete waste of money.

3) I just ordered a brand new compressor and receiver/dryer from these guys:

http://www.discountacparts.com/

and paid $426.78 delivered.

...good words of wisdom....I had thought about a rebuild but then I remember going through tons of rebuilt starters on my F-150...Carbs on my F-250...they were all junk.

Thanks for the link....not a bad price for the compressor and valve delivered.

How was the chore of replacing it.? ANything odd to know or is fairly obvious and straightforward. I will have to take back in for the R12 recharge obviously.

Scott

I haven't actually installed this one yet, but I have removed and installed many while working on the various pathies in the family. Very straightforward once you find all the bolts.

To be legal and environmentally responsible, you should bring the truck to the shop and have them remove and capture the existing freon. Then you can do the compressor and drier swap. Normally, you will want to evacuate and fill with freon immediately after installing the new parts, but if the humidity is very low it is not so critical.

AZ scott I have a compressor laying around off of my 87...it was starting to "get weak" when I pulled it but when I had it charged with 134a it blew a cool 46 deg constant at truck idle...I found out that the hose on the bulkhead on the firewall had loosened up and thats where my leak was...if you want to pay shipping I can send it to ya and if you feel inclined to throw a couple extra $ on top that'd be cool for packing and what not if you want a temporary fix for the compressor

I haven't actually installed this one yet, but I have removed and installed many while working on the various pathies in the family. Very straightforward once you find all the bolts.

To be legal and environmentally responsible, you should bring the truck to the shop and have them remove and capture the existing freon. Then you can do the compressor and drier swap. Normally, you will want to evacuate and fill with freon immediately after installing the new parts, but if the humidity is very low it is not so critical.

They are evacuating the system today for me...so it is clean...I will leave the broken compressor in until I have a replacement so that no moisture gets in.

Thanks

Scott

AZ scott I have a compressor laying around off of my 87...it was starting to "get weak" when I pulled it but when I had it charged with 134a it blew a cool 46 deg constant at truck idle...I found out that the hose on the bulkhead on the firewall had loosened up and thats where my leak was...if you want to pay shipping I can send it to ya and if you feel inclined to throw a couple extra $ on top that'd be cool for packing and what not if you want a temporary fix for the compressor

....let me consider that...I have to go pick it up from the shop tonight and actually see how bad things are. I mean if they cleared the blockage and the compressor is fine...maybe I don't need one....or maybe I do. I know it was replaced about 6 years ago by Nissan as I have a receipt in a pile of receipts the original owner gave me. So i find it odd that it whent out that quick.

We all know how repair shops can be.

scott

I might take you up the compressor....I am not sold that mine is toast and I can swap yours in. Let me know cost to ship to 85338. I will cover shipping and will toss some extra scratch in for trouble and packing.

Paypal? or a check...or..?

scott