R50 Oil Filter Relocation

Pezzy

I've done quite a few searches for info on an Oil Filter Relocation kit for my R50, and have only found unanswered posts of other people asking if one exists.... So I thought I would share our findings for future people doing the same search.

We ordered the one for the Xterra from Trans Dapt, based on the fact that they use the same oil filter... seemed simple enough, but it was a no go. :(

Well, I've officially given up on installing a filter relocation kit in Pezzy's truck. We got one a while ago, and I couldn't get it to work, but I've since noticed that the only thing that's in the way is the alternator bracket, or so I thought. So, yesterday, I loosened it off, and installed the filter relocation kit. However, upon starting the truck, it leaked like a sieve. Oh well, it's not meant to be. I guess there IS a difference between the Xterra and the R50, even though they are the same engine, and use the same filter.

I've done quite a few searches for info on an Oil Filter Relocation kit for my R50, and have only found unanswered posts of other people asking if one exists.... So I thought I would share our findings for future people doing the same search.

We ordered the one for the Xterra from Trans Dapt, based on the fact that they use the same oil filter... seemed simple enough, but it was a no go. :(

http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page27.html

mmm kay, looks like the same idea as the Trans Dapt... with ours everything worked, except the plate that meets up with the stock filter location.

Do you have one, and if so, how did it go?

I don't have it but are you sure that there was a gasket in the one you had? And if there was a gasket did you coat it with oil? If you answer no to either of those questions then there is your problem.

Well for the second one, that answer doesnt matter. You don't have to coat the gasket in oil, that only makes taking the filter off a lil bit easier.

I don't have it but are you sure that there was a gasket in the one you had? And if there was a gasket did you coat it with oil? If you answer no to either of those questions then there is your problem.

Yes, and yes.

The fact of the matter is where the gasket (in this case, an o-ring) mates the block, it's slightly larger in diameter than the stock filter. My assumption is, that this works for the Xterra as it's probably a different mount. On the R50 Pathfinder, it seems to mate up to the block, but then leaks like crazy as soon as you start the truck.

no just get a pipe tap and tap some fittings into the block and relo the filter that way. or get a piece of billet aluminum the shape of the oil filter adapter flange with some fittings that go to a relo'd filter. Theres a lot of different options.

no just get a pipe tap and tap some fittings into the block and relo the filter that way. or get a piece of billet aluminum the shape of the oil filter adapter flange with some fittings that go to a relo'd filter. Theres a lot of different options.

Sure, there are a bunch, however they're pricey. It's just not worth it. I can still do an oil change on Pezzy's truck in about half an hour, even having to take the front skid off. :shrug:

The point of this thread is simply to state that the commercially available relocation kit that's most likely to fit the R50 Pathfinder with the VG33 motor, does not.

Edited by Simon