Custom Shift Knob

HankG

For a while now, I've been wanting a custom shift knob. In my last truck, I bought a cliché chrome skull and, while I liked it, I wanted something a little more unique this time. I couldn't find anything in stores or online that I liked, unfortunately. A short while ago, I was over at my brother's house while he was dismantling the transmission out of my old truck and noticed that fourth gear seemed perfect. I had him cut it out and, a few days later, got to work.

First, I ground off the slag from the acetylene torch, then cut out a two inch circle of 1/8 steel, welded two nuts to the back, then welded the circle to the gear. After that, I polished it up with an angle grinder, took off the pointy edges, and put on a bunch of clear coat. It didn't come out perfectly, but I'm quite happy with it. :)

http://pages.suddenlink.net/hank-g/shiftknob1.jpg

http://pages.suddenlink.net/hank-g/shiftknob2.jpg

Gearhead!

How's that feel after driving all day? Looks a bit large/uncomfortable. Pretty neat tho!

For the size, it actually fits really well; it's just held in a different manner than the usual tall and skinny knob.

Dude Thats awesome...but is it comfortable in hand after..lets say sitting in traffic going from 1st to 2nd constantly

???

I actually haven't given it a real test yet. :tongue: However, I messed around with shifting a bunch in the driveway and it felt fine. Taking off the edges with the angle grinder made it pretty comfortable.

Pretty cool I think, I just drilled a couple pool balls out and tapped theads into them. Couldn't do the cheesy set screw 8-ball thats smaller than a real pool ball. Planning on using some more for other things.

Hey, while it looks big and bulky, props to you for doing something that YOU like. While I'd never do it myself, I think that thing is SWEET! If I had a manual, I could totally go for something about 3/4 or slightly smaller than that size. But alas, I have the auto-tragic, so I'm stuck with what I got. But kudos for you.