What to look for in an '87 Pathy

Fukinitupagain

The one I'm looking at is an '87 Pathy 4x4 manual trans(I can't remember if it's a 4 or 6 cyl) with like 157K on the odometer. I know before hand that the clutch is slipping & will need be worked on or replaced but thats like a $150 part so not too worried about that, but need to know "trouble spots" to look for (ie frame rust, what to look/listen for with the engine, etc). Thanks in advance guys

When was the timing belt changed? Frame rust, and body rust, typically in the floorboards. One spot under the driver's right foot, the other under the back seats.

Like Destro said, mine had holes in both rear wheel wells that let water/muck into the rockers and rusted them out, maybe check that.

Also that was just about the mileage on mine when I bought it, then had to swap the M/T due to it being underfilled. Ask the owner about the fluid level. Should be 5 qts. Nissan published the wrong capacity data plus made the fill hole too low to properly fill it. Nissan Trans TSB info linky

The T-belt should be changed every 60k on that year engine:FYI

Edited by jj big shoe

Damn guys this is some good stuff. I just want a vehicle that will be a good for my wife until she graduates college(AC & being dependable is a must). In 2 or so years when she's out & gets her a new ride (while in law school) then I'll turn it into my little (big) toy. JJ thanks for the heads up on the tranny issues & Simon for the timing belt & Destro for the rust spots...

Anything else?...anyone?...

There is this...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19042

Then there is my biased opinion. Unless you plan to use it for a trail rig or it's SUPER cheap, get a 4 door. It's much more handy and probably has MPI, not TBI which sucks for power, fuel economy and trying to pass smog tests...

If you get a 94-95, the timing belt is every 105k.

B

Unless you plan to use it for a trail rig or it's SUPER cheap

The second is the big issue, it's only like $700. The guys just trying to get rid of a vehicle that he doesn't drive anymore ya know.

I also know of a '94 2wd thats only about $1100 (once again its an extra vehicle & his wife wants it gone) thats got 216K, manual transmission & cold A/C. Or a '95 $1300 with 91K, rebuilt auto tranny & cold A/C

main thing as bigshoe i believe it was said, make sure there isn't a whine in any gear. The manual transmissions are notorious for being unreliable due to lack of lubrication of the gears. The rust under the back seats is a main thing too, if there is rust check if it has extra bracings on the rear seatbelt anchorages that usually allows it pass road compliance, or warrant tests with straight panel steel patches. Can't give too much info on the engine as mines a td27 turbo diesel not a 3lv6. I would go for it mate :)

main thing as bigshoe i believe it was said, make sure there isn't a whine in any gear. The manual transmissions are notorious for being unreliable due to lack of lubrication of the gears.

Manual transmissions notorious? I know both my 95 and 87 had been run at some point and time low on oil and neither has whining noises...my 87 has issues in the winter time going to 2nd gear but i figured out the shift style on it so it gives no problems and the 95 has a syncro problem in 1st that I learned how to handle in it as well and no problems for me...

It's much more handy and probably has MPI, not TBI which sucks for power, fuel economy and trying to pass smog tests...

I didn't notice an increase in fuel mileage on my MPFI over my TBI

If its a carolina truck and hasnt been down at the coast too much you shouldn't have any rust to worry about...I bought my 87 8 years ago with 190K miles on it and it got me all the way up to like 270K with a timing belt break at 225K and then trash got dropped in the cylinder during a plug change at its demise...

I'd be willing to bet its going to need the exhaust system replaced...my 87 has a trashed exhaust when I bought it and about every 4 years the rear pipe would rust out