Sheesh! Enough of the fires already!

mws

Well... I was wondering about something...

But I dont' know if it's at ALL feasible...

using Dry Ice pellets to seed the clouds and force it to rain. I know it requires certain conditions but... with that kind of convection, what's the humidity like?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

humidity?

Lets see I'll give you an idea of what it feels like outside....go get a hair dryer...turn the heat on low and the fan on high set it about 3' away from you and thats what the conditions are like out here (not all places but mostly where these fires are)

I got off the plane in Charlotte for Christmas and about died...I love the humidity out here with my asthma...I can breathe better here than back home, even with the horrible air quality

Californians complain about humidity some days and I laugh and ask what humidity?

Tomorrows Forecast where I live:

Mostly Sunny

High

100°F

Precip

10%

Wind: SW 13 mph

Max. Humidity: 29%

UV Index: 10+ Extreme

Where the Piute Fire is:

Mostly Sunny

High

97°F

Precip

10%

Wind: WSW 11 mph

Max. Humidity: 33%

UV Index: 10+ Extreme

Even if you could cause a gullywasher outta the south east and kill the flames...you then have to worry about land/mud slides which I think are worse than the fires themselves...

Aighty, I had thought that, if nothing more, the extreme amount of rising hot air cooling in the upper atmosphere would increase the humidity at altitude enough for such a plan... but yeah, then the mudslides and chit... bah.

You know what... fskc it. Someone get a bunch of chinooks and drop a glacier on it :P J/K of course... but there has to be some way to help contain these beasts...

Must....... not...... make......... crude.......... comments

I hate the Shrub.

Arnie (the governator) has been here several times. I can only imagine the traffic snafu having GW in town.

Containment is at 80% and getting better every day. Humidity is still way up (which means all of 30% up here!) and progress is rapid. No homes threatened. Still lots of chopper flights dumping water on hot spots.

Smoke is much improved as well. Can even see the foothills every now and then (they are about 4 miles away). Even saw some blue sky the other day! Still only one human death reported - a somewhat unique individual ("touched" may be a good word to use here) who refused to evacuate in Concow and whose property was clearly not prepared to endure fire. Sad story, but his choice - which I believe in letting people have.

Lots of firefighter injuries, but only a couple moderate to serious. All in all, an impressive display.

Personal notes:

1 colleage had fire line 50 feet from house, another had it within 20! The fire crew (an inmate crew) did an amazing job saving his home - they cut and removed all trees near the house and hand cleared (hand hoe) a wide strip around his house. All in 100+ temps with fire racing towards them. They left an empty water bottle box with their crew number and names signed on it so he actually gets to know who to thank!

So many stories like that....

The longest 6 months of my life were spent in Biloxi, Mississippi. Good god....

I can handle 110 if it's dry, but anythin over about 85 degrees at 90+ is absolute torture. After living here for 30 years, my body has adapted to produce plenty of perspiration to keep me comfortable in the dry heat. But that not so good for comfort when humidity is high! I looked like a pro basketball player last week when it was 95 and 45%.... the sweat was dripping profusely. Just nasty.

I hear ya...I was born and raised in NC...and I have always sweated like a stuck pig...even out here in the dry...when I 1st moved out here it was like 110 out and the neighbor walked over and he was like ohh man are you alright I've never seen anyone sweat like that...

I do like the dry for my asthma...I went back for Christmas last year and it was like 30 out with 85% humid and I was just dripping sweat and the air was heavy...

Looks like they've been getting most of these fires under control...i've noticed a huge drop in the amount of smoke in the air which is good

Hack hack, cough cough.

After several days of nice Delta breezes, the southerlies shut off and the palor has returned. I forgot just how unpleasant the smoke is.... Maybe next month will be better.