The Worlds Most Expensive Leveling Spacer

PDCCD

Well, here's some pics of my new bumper. Not the departure angle i wanted, but i had to make some compromises. I might have to add a few more bits like mudflaps and i have to finish wiring my license plate lights, but that's mostly done.

Whatcha think?

img1543nm8.th.jpg

img1545xj4.th.jpg

img1549jh7.th.jpg

img1551qf9.th.jpg

img1550ll3.th.jpg

Well, here's some pics of my new bumper. Not the departure angle i wanted, but i had to make some compromises. I might have to add a few more bits like mudflaps and i have to finish wiring my license plate lights, but that's mostly done.

i think it looks awesome! but if it were me, i'd paint that diamond plate gray or black.

is this the same bumper as before, just with some small changes? what do you do with your other/older custom bumpers?

Edited by alexrex20

i think it looks awesome! but if it were me, i'd paint that diamond plate gray or black.

is this the same bumper as before, just with some small changes? what do you do with your other/older custom bumpers?

Not a fan of my bling? LOL. I'm not sure what i'll do with it. I'm not sure i love it, but it's high gloss aluminum and i'm not sure how it will hold paint. I had to keep weight down, it's already incredibly heavy. It's the same bumper, but i've since added the swing out carrier with the gas/water cans. Allot more work than it looks unfortunately. There's tons of little detail there. Funny ain't it, i built it faster than arb could get us our bumpers. By two months in fact. :crossedwires:

Not a fan of my bling? LOL. I'm not sure what i'll do with it. I'm not sure i love it, but it's high gloss aluminum and i'm not sure how it will hold paint. I had to keep weight down, it's already incredibly heavy. It's the same bumper, but i've since added the swing out carrier with the gas/water cans. Allot more work than it looks unfortunately. There's tons of little detail there. Funny ain't it, i built it faster than arb could get us our bumpers. By two months in fact. :crossedwires:

i tried emailing 4wheelparts and ARB last week, and still have not gotten a reply. but it is the weekend, i guess... do you have any updates, or are our bumpers still scheduled to get here mid/late august?

It looks good. I especially like how the gas/water cans are a little bit hidden. And you did this all on your own right?

If you want to paint over it just get a flat primer & then paint it whatever color you want, it should be fine after that.

It looks good. I especially like how the gas/water cans are a little bit hidden. And you did this all on your own right?

If you want to paint over it just get a flat primer & then paint it whatever color you want, it should be fine after that.

Well no, i did the labor and some of the design, but i owe allot of help and ideas from Pezzy, Xplor4X, certainly Arcano, and a couple of guys from work and even a neighbor pitched in when i needed a hand (friggin thing is a bear to mount). :friday: Not to mention the hundreds of people who posted pics and ideas that i found helpful of their bumpers/can holders. Also, if you look close, i used our Plasma cam table at work and cut "Pathfinder" in the gas holder. Can't really see it because of the tire, but it's custom anyway lol.

And no Alex, nothing about our bumpers. I emailed the guy at arb tonight for an update, but i don't expect much to change at this point, it's on a slow boat from Australia. Only the weather can change that... I hope. I'll keep you in the loop if i hear something.

Thanks for the compliments guys. If anyone is planning on building one, ask me your questions soon while it's still fresh in my head. Time seems to steal things from my dome, and it was a bitch.

Thanks for the compliments guys. If anyone is planning on building one, ask me your questions soon while it's still fresh in my head. Time seems to steal things from my dome, and it was a bitch.

I'll take advantage of that, could you take some pics and explain a bit of the design you used for the mounts? I'm guessing you might of used the receiver hitch mounting location for the bumper...

Great work by the way.

I'll take advantage of that, could you take some pics and explain a bit of the design you used for the mounts? I'm guessing you might of used the receiver hitch mounting location for the bumper...

Great work by the way.

Gottem already. But you've got them on yours too. this was a particularly challenging portion for me, and i tried a few different ideas. But in the end, i cut the mounting arms off the OEM receiver hitch, and used them by "splicing" extensions that conformed to the interior of my newly bent bumper. This is probably the most questionable portion of my build. It allows me to maintain all of my Hitch mounting points, but some might argue it might not be strong enough. I also added stiffeners along a portion to help stabilize any lateral forces. I haven't towed or needed to use it for recovery yet to tell you how it will hold up real world yet, so ymmv.

0519081458bnr6.th.jpg

0514081800aot5.th.jpg

img1245fq8.th.jpg

I also followed Xplor4x's idea and added a bracket to the actual receiver tube to help increase strength.

How's that? Did i explain it ok?

Explained very well.

Looks a little thin tho...

I'd assume that the OEM receiver is strong enough to use as a recovery point, as that's what a lot of people suggest to use for any rear recovery...so I guess for towing or anything you would have to take into account the weight of the new bumper when thinking of the tongue weight.

I was hoping to save my receiver so I could possibly return everything to stock, but I guess not. Oh well. Thanks for the pictures, they are helpful. let us know how it works out in real world conditions

Very nice work. Looks good! I'm sure it'll be plenty strong. Did you spray paint the bumper or is it powdercoated?

I hope you plan to relocate the tailpipe (if you haven't done so already). That's the first thing that'll get crushed if you reach your departure angle.

To add to what Dean said, I ended up having the rear resonator removed, and they tucked up the rest of the pipe, and bent it out just past my rear PS tire. Never had an issue hitting it.

Very nice work. Looks good! I'm sure it'll be plenty strong. Did you spray paint the bumper or is it powdercoated?

I hope you plan to relocate the tailpipe (if you haven't done so already). That's the first thing that'll get crushed if you reach your departure angle.

Unfortunately, i only rattle canned it with bedliner from napa. Finding a powdercoater in my area is super difficult, and the couple i found within a couple of hours were pricey and had a long wait. Maybe this winter i'll take it off and have one of them do it.

To add to what Dean said, I ended up having the rear resonator removed, and they tucked up the rest of the pipe, and bent it out just past my rear PS tire. Never had an issue hitting it.

Thanks for the exhaust suggestion. For some reason, my exhaust rusted through and broke right in the bend over the rear axle last year. So i cut out the rot and put in repair piece. Well, on a recent trip to a new off road park (since the pictures), it came apart again. So i tore the resonator. Now it's just gassing me from the rear axle area lol. I plan to have a tailpiece installed and exited by the rear tire too. I just wonder though, no one's hit their rear tire on it under flex? Seems like it would.

i wish i could weld.

LOL, trust me, you can weld. I've often thought of starting a welding school for monkeys, if i could figure a way to motivate them I'd be rich! :tongue Seriously though, just takes practice to get the basics. Now fabricating, that's an art. The guys who built arcano's and xplor4x's were good, real good. Pezzy's is great for a home built too. There is so much time in the thousands of little details no one notices.

Some carnage from the offroad park:

dsc00813zn2.th.jpg

dsc00814es9.th.jpg

dsc00835vf5.th.jpg

Edited by PDCCD

lol, looks like you need that front bumper now more than ever!

No Joke! And a winch mounted, damn it. I've swapped the BFG at's out for Super Swampers this past weekend, so that should help. I'm hoping that'll help me stall on the lockers lol.

Pic SS:

IMG_1547.jpg

IMG_1542.jpg

Edited by PDCCD