Pathy won't start - Fuel pump?

2TrakMind

A while back I posted about my 95 not starting after it warmed up. It would only sputter, sounding like it was only running on a few cylinders, then die. In an attempt to figure out the problem, I changed the fuel filter. I've only owned it for a few months, so I have no idea when it was last changed...if ever. Well, it ran great for two weeks. Suddenly last week, it up and did it again. Now though, the fuel pump won't run. According to the last owners records, the pump was just changed in January. Shortly after I bought it, I started blowing fuel pump fuses. I would blow 3 or 4, then be fine for weeks, then again a couple more. Now the fuel pump won't run, but the fuse is fine. Here's my question. If the fuel filter was overly dirty, could it cause the fuse on the pump to blow because it has to work so hard to pump the fuel through? In addition, could it cause the fuel pump to burn out that quickly as well? Any ideas?

Thanks!

The problem, I can guarantee is the electrical connections on the sending unit on the top of the tank. I've had similar issues on 3 separate occasions in the past. IT's a horrible design. Your fuel pump is mounted to the sending unit, then the sending unit is bolted to the top of the tank. You'll most likely have to replace the sending unit, as it's not really reparable.

• 1 month later...

It's been a while coming, but I finally got the Pathy back on the road. I had to change the fuel pump, because it had burned out. As soon as I put the new one it, I started blowing fuses again. As Simon stated, it is clear that there is an electrical issue, so I checked the connections on the fuel sending unit, and they were all good. After messing with the plugs going to the unit though, it miraculously went away. My guess is that my problem is in there. The question I have though is that when I go to start our other vehicles, the fuel pump runs for about two seconds before shutting off. On the Pathy though, it will run for at least 4 seconds before shutting off. Is this normal, or should it not be running that long? I wondered if it wasn't getting enought "juice" to run the pump at full power, which is causing a delay in pressurizing the system. What do you think?