pathy not starting? Please help

I have a 95 pathy stock. well my starters been going out for quit some time and well i went mudding in about 2 and half foot mud pit, drove around for about 2 hours after that. came home parked it and woke up the next day and it wont start. so i replaced the starter. still wont start. bought new battery still wont start. checked fuel pump .. well thats good. checked to see if i have spark, well i do. checked spark plugs, and those are good. now when im trying to start it it clicks real fast and it will some times miss fire. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Please give me some ideas...thanks

.... KYLE

I have a 95 pathy stock. well my starters been going out for quit some time and well i went mudding in about 2 and half foot mud pit, drove around for about 2 hours after that. came home parked it and woke up the next day and it wont start. so i replaced the starter. still wont start. bought new battery still wont start. checked fuel pump .. well thats good. checked to see if i have spark, well i do. checked spark plugs, and those are good. now when im trying to start it it clicks real fast and it will some times miss fire. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Please give me some ideas...thanks

.... KYLE

clicking real fast to me sounds like a dead/low battery try a boost

clicking real fast to me sounds like a dead/low battery try a boost

its a brand new 80 dollar battery.. and when i first bought the battery i hooked up jumper cables to it . still did the same thing. but what i dont get is why is it miss firing

Is it a NEW starter or a re-manuf##ked up one.

Just read a good thread here on the trials and tribulations of the evil remanu**cked up starters;

Definately will never by a re(you get the idea)ed one as time is money and not having the Pathy is punishment!-)

Edited by MikeV

Is it a NEW starter or a re-manuf##ked up one.

Just read a good thread here on the trials and tribulations of the evil remanu**cked up starters;

Definately will never by a re(you get the idea)ed one as time is money and not having the Pathy is punishment!-)

its a remanufactured one.. i aint got all that money to buy a new one. but i do see where your comming from. everything is turning over. but now im havin trouble disconnecting the alternator. i got it all unbolted but i cant seem to get the wire part off.

its a remanufactured one.. i aint got all that money to buy a new one. but i do see where your comming from. everything is turning over. but now im havin trouble disconnecting the alternator. i got it all unbolted but i cant seem to get the wire part off.

well i had the alternator tested and well its good...so this aint making no sense.

Good alternator, good battery, good starter, have fuel, have air, have spark. now why wont it start

hm... what happens when you turn the key? Almost sounds like start solenoid or a bad starter... how do you KNOW the starter is good?

Spring for a new one... that remanu**cked up one will leave you stranded.

hm... what happens when you turn the key? Almost sounds like start solenoid or a bad starter... how do you KNOW the starter is good?

Spring for a new one... that remanu**cked up one will leave you stranded.

it clicks real fast like it wants to start, everything is turning so it cant be the starter

Do you know the starter itself is turning?

Do you hear the fuel pump kick in?

Try getting a jump start - if that doesn't work, assume starter. Pull it and have it tested OR test with a known good starter.

Take the covers (2) off your steering column. Look on the left hand side, at the opposite end of the ignition switch IIRC there are 5 connection points. Check all of them by tugging GENTLY. If any come right off, solder it back on and fire it up (the engine, don't actually set anything on fire). Worked like a charm for my starting problem, a year after I did it it hasn't failed yet. I did it after I put a new battery, starter, and alty in. $$

it clicks real fast like it wants to start, everything is turning so it cant be the starter

Yep. I know what this is too. I think.

Its the clutch mechanism in the starter motor. Mine did this once too, but only when it was cold.

Even though you have a recon starter it could be that they didn't recon the clutch.

This clutch is part of the mechanism that fires the whatsit onto the ring gear to crank the engine. I know what I want to say here, but cant properly put it into words sorry.

Here's a couple of exploded pics of two different Pathy Starters to help you.

StarterB-1.jpg

StarterA-1.jpg

Edited by kiwipete

Good point Kiwi...

This is why you don't get recon starters... they're stupidly simple complex pieces of PITA equipment nobody seems to recon right anymore :(

yall are prob right but my question is, if the starter is bad it wouldnt turn over, right? And everything is turning over

the engine is actually cranking?

In that case - look at the fuel system. Crank but no fire means either no fuel, no air, or no spark.

i have spark, have air. and have fuel in fuel pump line..but not sure if the injectors are out? i toot off the fuel pump line right where it runs into the injectors , cranked it over and gas spewed out. so i know fuel pump works. but not sure about the injectors and i would really hate to take em off. cause thats a project.

if you crank it for, say, fifteen seconds at MOST< they should come out damp and you should smell fuel. If you don't, I'd bet that's a good sign no injector firing...