worn out LSD

big_johnson

I recently dicovered (the hard way) that my LSD is worn out pretty much completely. I would have one tire on the ground and the other barely lifting (checkout the flex in the attachment! All stock except for shocks!), but only the one without traction would spin. It sucked :angry: . But anyways, a Locker is really pricey for my 33 spline H233B, (along with other problems concerning that mod), so I was wondering what can be done to give some life to my LSD. Totally new unit? Or can the existing one be tightened up? Thanks B)

post-9-1089501975.jpg

Positive I have the LSD, I have the "LSD oil only" orange sticker back there on the pumpkin. And I'm 95% positive its worn out, only one rear tire was spinning whenever I lost traction on the most recent trip :angry: . So where would I go about getting/having installed these clutches? :confused:

you'd likely have to replace the whole lsd ... I dont think that anybody has rebuilt one before ... but it could be possible I suppose ...

just a thought here - when was the last time that you changed the fluid in the thing? could help and wouldn't hurt if it has been a while ...

best bet speak to a local diff/transmission shop & get the low down!

you need to keep in mind that lsd will still free wheel on occasions, they are not a locker.

I had a '85 Toyota with LSD. When I blew it up it cost almost 1800.00 to rebuild (which I had done twice (OUCH) ) Even after that I still had problems with gear lash, which I think lead to early failure. The third time I had it done I had them check on replacement cost for the whole third member, it was about $850 +/- $100. The replacement lasted much longer that the rebuilds.

pretty much the only big deterrent for me getting a rear locker (besides the rather huge price...) is the fact that I have the LSD back there, and would have to get a new carrier (still not sure exactly what that part consists of). The price of the locker, installation, air compressor, and new carrier is a lot to swallow, considering the many other mods that could be done at that price. However, a locker is still a huge desire of mine :D