Pathfinder won't crank when engine hot, onlycold

cobra620

I am brand new to this forum, but certainly not to my 93 Pathfinder, it is my dad's car and we have owned since we bought it new in late 92, other than my dad's 04 Mustnag Cobra, it is by far our favorite car in the family. It now has 140,000 miles and we will hopefully never have to get rid of it. Anyways we are currently having an odd issue with the motor. The car is a V-6 and starts just fine when it is cold, but after the car has been running it will not even crank. The dash lights come on and once the car is cool again everything works just fine. We have asked several friends and searched through our shop maunual and have yet to fix the problem. My dad thinks it may be the starter so we our going to try that next. If anyone has any clue to a solution or any tips we would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks

Tony

Edited by cobra620

Don't know. The starter is a PITA. I wouldn't change it unlessl I was sure. I'd hate for you to spend that money only to have the same problem.

Here's a link with a similar thread. You should try to run codes first to see if it's a sensor or injector.

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...mp;hl=warmed+up

If you get a bad code there are several places here to check them.

I am going to check the IAC valve since the idle isnt the that smooth, I was trying to get it running before I tackled that problem. Thanks for the reply and I am going to check the things you suggested, the check engine light isn't on but I'll take it to Autozone and see if it throughs any codes. More suggestions are certainly welcome

Thanks

Tony

Check your voltages. 12V constant on the big wire, 12V with the key turned on the trigger wire to the solenoid. If these are good, pull the starter and disassemble it until you can get a tthe bruushes and guts (keep track of where things go. There aren't a lot of parts but it's important that they get back to their original positions. When you pull the guts, hit it with a brush and clean all the carbon dust out of the grooves and suck. Make sure th brushes are making good contact and are not bound. If you don't need to retract the brushes to get it back together, they are at the end of their useful life. Anyway, once back together, bench test it (or driveway test it) Slap a jumper cable from the + battery to the pos lug on the main starter housing. Ground the case with the othe cable (clip flange where mounting bolts go and other end to the frame on the truck. Then run a test wire from the solenoid connector in the truck and you're ready to test. Step on the thing (or strap it to something solid) and touch the test wire to the solenoid connector. It should run like gangbusters (ignore any sparks). Pop it a few times to check consistency and then reinstall. You will probably get many more years out of it and possibly solve your problem. And.. more importantly.. will save the cost of at least 1 tank of gas by not buying a new starter.