Ready to SeaFoam

Kittamaru

Read this already:

the best way to use seafoam is to suck it directly into the intake... but this can be a bit tricky. find a vac line that goes directly to the intake (the smaller diameter of the hose the better 'flow control' will be). start the engine and SLOWLY suck the seafoam our of the can with the vac line in SHORT BURSTS. too much too fast will hydrolock the engine and may or may not cause major problems. the main thing is to find a rythem that works by stopping just at the point that you hear the engine start to bog down. after a couple of mins the foam will work its way through the system and flood the CAT... thats when you get to watch all the pretty smoke come out the tail pipe and fill the entire neighborhood in a thick pea-soup fog. if you actually like your neighbors you might want to warn them as the fire dept. has been known to be called out on such occasions. once you've sucked down the bottle (or half suck, half in the tank to get to the injectors) drive it around town until the smoking stops and you are all done.

But I'm not 100% certain I have the right vac line... it's the one just before the throttle body on the tube between the air box and the throttle body, right? Somehow I have a feeling it's the wrong line... heh...

Run the engine until warm.

Turn off engine.

Locate vacuum line leaving the bottom of the intake just behind throttle body. It should terminate into a connector located on the upper portion of the driver’s side of the firewall. (You should see a tag with “evap” on it, and a screw-on cap.)

Use a flat blade screwdriver to pull back the two sides of the retaining ring that holds the vacuum line in place.

Once removed, insert a small funnel or similar device into the vacuum line. (I used a 50cc syringe without the needle.)

Start the engine.

While holding a med-fast idle (2000-2500 rpm) slowly pour 5-6 ounces into the vacuum line. The vacuum will suck it in fast. I poured ½ the dose in and waited approx 30 seconds, then poured the rest pretty quickly (the engine will bog down slightly at this point) and immediately shut the engine off.

Wait approx. 10 minutes and restart the engine.

It will make a lot of smoke. Rev the motor to clear at all the smoke.

Drive as normal now.

NOTE: as an option, you can use the vacuum line connected to the brake boost assembly. Remove tension form the clamp ring attaching the vacuum line to the check valve then remove the line from the check valve. Administer the Sea Foam thru this vacuum line.

Just read this as well... meh.

I'm confused as to just what line they are talking about *shrugs* and I can't seem to find an image of a Vac Line for a VG30E engine... is it the one just before the throttle body, the one just after, or am I really out of the ballpark?

Just read this as well... meh.

I'm confused as to just what line they are talking about *shrugs* and I can't seem to find an image of a Vac Line for a VG30E engine... is it the one just before the throttle body, the one just after, or am I really out of the ballpark?

I just pulled the vacuum hose off of my brake booster and poured it in slowly.

JP

I don't know what that is though... hence my problem :(

An image or a description as to where it is would be immensely helpful... I think I know what the brake booster is, but I would rather be 100% sure and not wreck my truck by accident.

2002VQ_006.jpg

The top right of the picture shows the master cylinder reservoir where you put the brake fluid (yellow cap). The brake booster is the big round black thing behind it on the firewall (it is a big vacuum diapragm that helps power the application of the brakes - manual brake vehicles don't have this).

There should be a decent sized vacuum line going to the master cylinder.

I am not saying this is the correct line to use for seafoam, never done that, just trying to help ID the booster for you.

EDIT- this is a 3.5L engine, but this configuration is typical for most production vehicles.

Edited by BowTied

THE EASIEST AND MOST EFFICIENT WAY TO APPLY SEA FOAM IS THROUGH THE POWER BRAKE BOOSTER VACUUM. THE BIG LINE WITH THE VALVE ON IT. PULL IT OUT WITH THE VEHICLE RUNNING, POUR THE SEA FOAM INTO THE LINE, IT WILL SUCK IT DOWN FROM SUCTION, POUR SLOWLY, ALMOST UNTIL THE VEHICLE STALLS BUT NOT THAT MUCH JUST UNTIL THE IDLE STARTS GETTING ROUGH. USE A WHOLE CAN, YES THE ENTIRE CAN BECAUSE ITS A V-6. AFTER THE ENTIRE CAN IS IN SHUT OFF THE MOTOR. WAIT ABOUT 30MIN. START, IT WILL HARD START AND WILL SMOKE ALOT, LIKE A HEADGASKET JUST BLEW, DONT WORRY, YOUR FINE. NOW TAKE IT FOR A BRISK RIDE TO BURN IT ALL OFF. YOUR DONE. WHEN YOU GET HOME DROP ANOTHER HALF CAN INTO GAS TANK, THE REMAINDER HALF INTO OIL THROUGH FILL HOLE. RUN NORMAL. THIS WONT BREAK YOUR OIL DOWN, IT ONLY INCREASES DETERGENTS TO CLEAN ENGINE. CHANGE AS REQUIRED WHEN YOUR DUE. 3000 MILES OR WHATEVER YOUR SCHEDULE IS. IF YOUR ENGINE IS REAL BAD, NEGLECTED, DONT ADD ANY MORE TO VACUUM LINE, BUT FEEL FREE TO ADD CAN TO GAS EVERY WEEK FOR A MONTH. IT WILL CLEAN THE ENGINE OVER THAT PERIOD OF TIME JUST FINE. I USE TO RUN MY OWN SHOP, I HAD MY MECHANIC AND SERVICE MANAGER BOTH ADVISE ME OF THIS PROCEDURE, 100% SAFE, JUST REMEMBER NOT TO ADD SEA FOAM SO QUICKLY IT STALLS THE ENGINE OUT! GOOD LUCK, IM SURE YOUR 3.3L WILL LOVE IT. IVE PERSONALLY USE IT ON MY 3.5L AND IT IS GREAT.

I know that pkmcd... what I don't know is what this line looks like or where exactly it is.

Also, no caps lock please... reading that hurts o0;

I know that pkmcd... what I don't know is what this line looks like or where exactly it is.

Also, no caps lock please... reading that hurts o0;

As noted above, the brake booster is the big circular shaped object located behind the master cylinder. There is a vacuum hose about the diameter of your pinkie finger that runs along the firewall to the booster. There's only one hose like that so it should be unmistakeable. There's a junction in this line bolted to the firewall. With the engine running pull the vacuum hose off and the truck should stumble. Put your thumb over the hose and you should feel suction. Voila, there it is. Follow Sea Foam directions from there.

OH god... damnit... now I feel really stupid.

When I read the reply with the picture, i thought "What top left... line... huh?"

It's top right... lol

And have fun while its smoking. I had people staring, yelling, middle fingers, cars honking, kids jumping off their bikes and pulling their shirts over their faces, etc

Then again, I live in the metro of downtown san diego, you dont want to do it in real urban areas but i have no choice