distributor cap and roter

Bobby

I don't know Bobby, I took the screw off the rotor button and is slid right off. Did you take the screw all the way out? Maybe it got hot and melted or so some corrosion occured and siezed it to the distributor?

Twist and pull....it'll come off. The shaft of the distributor is steel....worst case, you'll break the plastic of the rotor.

I don't know Bobby, I took the screw off the rotor button and is slid right off. Did you take the screw all the way out? Maybe it got hot and melted or so some corrosion occured and siezed it to the distributor?

i was doing that and it just is not coming off

Mine did that too the first time I changed it. Ugh. Took a while and a lot of prying but it eventually came off. I think there's a brass sleeve inside that seems to like to adhere to the distributor shaft. Just don't twist too hard, you don't want to strip the distributor shaft or gear at the bottom somehow.

don't feel bad....first time I tried to replace my cap and rotor when I first got my 1990 pathy....I tried and tried and tried to get the rotor off......(this is before I had a Haynes manual to refer to) and whacked it and pried on it with a big screwdriver......(now you have to understand, this is my first piston engine since restoring 3 mazda RX-7's and my first nissan vehicle....) so after taking a break, and figuring that there has to be something holding it on to the shaft.....so I took a closer look ALL THE WAY AROUND the rotor....and there it was.....that darn little screw that just happened to be facing the plenum so I couldnt see it head on....... "well damn!" I said to myself, as I reached for my little short handled phillips screwdriver.....it unscrewed with ease and VOILA! the rotor slid off the shaft with just a slight tug.

So I learned that SOME distributors are held in place with a friggin little screw instead of just being a snug fit on the shaft.

I must have come a long way since then......I managed to do my own knock sensor all by my little self :) and we all know where that little bastard is located.

don't feel bad....first time I tried to replace my cap and rotor when I first got my 1990 pathy....I tried and tried and tried to get the rotor off......(this is before I had a Haynes manual to refer to) and whacked it and pried on it with a big screwdriver......(now you have to understand, this is my first piston engine since restoring 3 mazda RX-7's and my first nissan vehicle....) so after taking a break, and figuring that there has to be something holding it on to the shaft.....so I took a closer look ALL THE WAY AROUND the rotor....and there it was.....that darn little screw that just happened to be facing the plenum so I couldnt see it head on....... "well damn!" I said to myself, as I reached for my little short handled phillips screwdriver.....it unscrewed with ease and VOILA! the rotor slid off the shaft with just a slight tug.

So I learned that SOME distributors are held in place with a friggin little screw instead of just being a snug fit on the shaft.

I must have come a long way since then......I managed to do my own knock sensor all by my little self :) and we all know where that little bastard is located.

well I found the screw but its just stuck on the shaft. I'm about to go outside and fight it some more.

Did he take the whole distributor out?

no i didn't i need some really helpful advise now the pathy wont start i think the timing might be off but i re timed it still nothing

Weird. The shaft shouldn't have turned, so if you put the cap in the right place, and the rotor on (there's only 1 way) and you've got the wires right, it should start. If the shaft turned while you were pulling the rotor off, something's seriously wrong.

Weird. The shaft shouldn't have turned, so if you put the cap in the right place, and the rotor on (there's only 1 way) and you've got the wires right, it should start. If the shaft turned while you were pulling the rotor off, something's seriously wrong.

i think i might of messed it up bad. I might need to just try to re time it again and start over

the timing marks on the crank shaft what mark does it have to be on. There are a few of them.

i think i might of messed it up bad. I might need to just try to re time it again and start over

the timing marks on the crank shaft what mark does it have to be on. There are a few of them.

Right in the middle is 15degrees BTDC

The furthest left is zero degrees, then they increment five degrees as you move clockwise. Check the sticker under your hood for reference, but AFAIK timing should be 12 degrees, between the third and fourth mark from the left.

If you turn the crank clockwise until the zero mark lines up with the timing pointer, your rotor should line up with the #1 plug contact inside the cap. If not, rotate the crank 360* again since you might be on the exhaust stroke. Also double check the wiring and vacuum hoses around where you were working. Something might have jarred loose while you were fighting the rotor off.

Good luck.

His shaft was screwed, you could hold one end and turn the other. Swapped it with the parts car and it's running now. Just when the timing sounds right, when you tighten it down it gets off. Bobby's going to get a timing light tomorrow and nail it down. Thanks for all your help guys, that was the hardest tune up I've ever seen. At least he didn't have to buy a distributor.

His shaft was screwed, you could hold one end and turn the other. Swapped it with the parts car and it's running now. Just when the timing sounds right, when you tighten it down it gets off. Bobby's going to get a timing light tomorrow and nail it down. Thanks for all your help guys, that was the hardest tune up I've ever seen. At least he didn't have to buy a distributor.

yeah thanks everyone not sure what I would do without everyone

thanks Dag for the distributor

Wow....how the hell did that happen?

Anyways, glad you got her going.

not really sure, but i think the pin that keeps the gear in the right spot on the shaft broke. I think that is because i was trying to turn the rotor to get it off and it broke.