Sensors

jrvanas

Hello Everyone,

I brought my Nissan into the dealership the other day for a check engine light. They said that the timing sensor was blown and they would order a new one. When I brought the car in a month later they fixed the sensor but now they are telling me that 4 other sensors (2xO2 and some others) are now blown....wtf? The car is only 6 months old to me and 3 years old - does anyone have any ideas as to why all my sesnors are going bad? I have another appt tonight and would like some feedback before I go in. If you have any questions please let me know...thanks in advance. JV

Often when the car is getting detailed by either a dealer or private party, they aren't very careful when they are cleaning the car and will spray the engine down with no regards to the electrical. Often water gets in the sensors and causes problems. Sometimes having them sprayed out with air and resetting the sensor can do the trick. Other times they have to be replaced.

Not always the rule but I ran into this on my 01 back in the day.

Thanks for the wish of good luck. I was almost about to trade the Pathfinder in for something else - but I really like the car. The power is awesome, spacious - nothing to complain about (except the sensors). Thanks to everyone for the great welcoming! I'm glad to be a member and an owner of a 01 pathy!

hi, you've got the crazy member number! i'm not sure if you can do it with your year, but you might want to check your ECU and see if you can pull any trouble codes from it. There's a sticky about how to do it in the Garage section

Thanks skrillaguerilla...

Hahaha - just noticed my member number - not bad! Well I stopped by Nissan the other day and a friend in the garage pulled my codes for me - he is a Nissan mechanic and wants to fix the sensors off the clock. But the problem is, that I want a receipt for my work since the car is so new. I don't think I'm going to go with their option...

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let everyone know. I replaced the knock sensor on the left bay and the O2 sensor. All is well now and I'm back to my ~16MPG fuel. Fuel was really bad - running rich and making me go to the pumps 2x a week. Thanks for everyone's help!