2001 Pathfinder Power Steering Leak?

Joel

Hello all,

I have a 2001 Pathfinder LE (3.5 v6). I have developed what I think is a power steering leak. The leak appears to be coming from a hard line on the drivers side front of the truck, from behind a retaining clip. I live in the midwest so I drive on snowy, salted roads, so it seems like I could have somehow gotten something behind the clip that either rusted or abraded a leak in this line.

My questions: does this sound like a power steering line? If so, which line is it (return line? pressure line?) and where can I purchase one most economically? If this does not sound like a power steering line, any clue what it is? The leaking fluid looks like PS fluid, and my truck keeps running low on it as well.

Thanks in advance.

Joel

Hello all,

I have a 2001 Pathfinder LE (3.5 v6). I have developed what I think is a power steering leak. The leak appears to be coming from a hard line on the drivers side front of the truck, from behind a retaining clip. I live in the midwest so I drive on snowy, salted roads, so it seems like I could have somehow gotten something behind the clip that either rusted or abraded a leak in this line.

My questions: does this sound like a power steering line? If so, which line is it (return line? pressure line?) and where can I purchase one most economically? If this does not sound like a power steering line, any clue what it is? The leaking fluid looks like PS fluid, and my truck keeps running low on it as well.

Thanks in advance.

Joel

If it is indeed a P/S line (and it sounds like it is if you constantly recognize low P/S fluid), you can very likely purchase a replacement from a Nissan dealer (online or brick&mortar). For online sources, try nissanparts.cc, nissanparts.org, or courtesyparts.com.

I had a leak on my 02...oddly enough on the passenger side where the soft line meets the hard line right before the line goes out in front of the truck for cooling...the OEM clamps are spring clamps and mine was losing its grip. I changed it out for a stainless belt style clap (super cheap at Lowes), and no more problems!