Sprung a leak

zonianbrat

Took these pics while I was home. I just discovered the leak. It is not that bad of a leak yet. Maybe a drip or two a day but I still dont want it to get any worse. Anybody know what this seal is and how hard it is to fix. The pics are under the front diff passenger side.

FirstPicsofTanner191.jpg

FirstPicsofTanner192.jpg

FirstPicsofTanner190.jpg

Thanks for any advice/information

yeah I think it is the steering rack. I just found it the day I was coming back to work and snapped a couple of pics and that is it. Havent had time to really get under there to research anything

hmm....not sure how user rebuildable the racks are on R50's. I'd try a GOOD (read: Lucas or similar) PS stop leak.

..isnt that one of the 4x4 axle shafts? (on the front) Looks like it to me and mine has the same itsy bitsy leak.....like, the drop of lube is there but doesnt even fall.....just looks wet all the time. I just left mine as is and has been like that for years

I'll try to get under it soon to determine exactly what it is. Axle shaft does sound good too. As long as it doesnt get worse I wont worry about it. I will however try the stop leak if it is the steering rack.

So I looked today and it is the axle shaft. The shaft itself goes into a coupler thingy and on the back side of it is where it is leaking. I will find a blown up pic later but now i am off to bed

yeah thats what I figured....my 1990 has the same "wet spot" and always has....but its never left a puddle or huge spot on the pavement, and I have changed the gear lube just to be safe...

I'm not even going to bother worrying about mine....I dont offroad it much and the lube is so thick that gravity has to work hard on it to make it leak lol.