anybody backpack here?

94extreme

I just hung out for 2 days with a group of 6 backpackers...One was a retired Master Sargent in the Marines who did the entire Appalachian Trail last year and he and these 6 folks are doing the Pacific Crest from Mexico to Canada...it looked pretty awesome and they've got good pix going on...After talking with these guys it looks like something cool to get into...

They will be resupplying this weekend...If I remember I'll try to ask what places they recommend out here or some good reference websites

i am looking for personal experiences here. i have a lot of experience in the woods and have been to many places but always looking for some hidden gems. :)

AT is v. cool but busy. haven't through hiked it as life happens. some day i will but for now i have enjoyed a few miles here and there. PCT is totally opposite. there are places where there isn't really a path. maybe some day i'll take that stroll too. lol

http://www.trails.com/trails.asp

Here is one of the sites they referenced and another was something like trail journey or something but I couldnt find it in a google search

they get resupplied on Friday (one gets tomorrow b/c he goes alone B4 the rest of the group) but I'll see if he knows of any good references.

I backpacked through Europe for 2 months last fall, though I don't think thats the type of backpacking you're refering to.

When I was younger I used to do a lot of hiking/backpacking in the Coast & Rocky Mountains, nothing further than a couple hours from Vancouver. Have some good memories but nothing was overly extreme as we were all 16 or under. I'm in too @!*% shape now to really consider any long hike now, though I'm thinking of doing a multi-day bike trip through the Gulf Islands this summer.

No problem...

After talking with these guys/gals I wouldnt mind getting into it and thought about my current job situation and if I could have paid my bills for the next 6 months without working I would have quit and went with them but just cant do it...but I think me and the gf are going to try to get into it and do weekend trips

we did some trails in the NC mountains without the proper gear for a couple miles which was really relaxing

im doing the Appalachian later this year if all goes as planned.

you're late for the NB traffic.

No problem...

After talking with these guys/gals I wouldnt mind getting into it and thought about my current job situation and if I could have paid my bills for the next 6 months without working I would have quit and went with them but just cant do it...but I think me and the gf are going to try to get into it and do weekend trips

we did some trails in the NC mountains without the proper gear for a couple miles which was really relaxing

you guys have a lot of good backpacking areas in NC. awesome, awesome places around Franklin not that the rest of the mountains aren't great too. try trail days at hot springs sometime.. that's coming up in the next month or two.

yea...its a shame I'm stuck here in the desert for the next 3 years...but hopefully we'll make it back to the VA, TN, Carolina's area depending on whether the gf stays in the USAF or not...

walked about 1/4 mile on part of the PCT to get up to a highpoint to see if we could see the hiker we were supposed to pick up today and it looked pretty sweet but we didn't see him so we came on back and I guess he will call if he makes it to there tonight but its been windy these past couple of days...

They were telling us this one place on the AT that was in a cavern type deal where you had to pull your packs off and squeeze through, between, over and under big boulders to get through which sounded really cool...I'll post some of their pix from the PCT periodically...they're keeping a photo album that they will update when they are off the trail to resupply

Here are 2 from "handlebar" when he stepped off last Sat AM @ walkers pass:

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg