Slider fab on my 92 pathy

yozsi

I finally got the drivers side welded up and the welds are like 10 times better, i guess i did a better job prepping the metal.

DSCF1129.jpg

DSCF1127.jpg

DSCF1128.jpg

• 2 months later...
yozsi did you modify that grill guard from a different vehicle application?

Looks like a stock Warn mount to me...I got one just like it...

My truck is the same color too. Now I'm drooling over those bars...I still have factory nerf bars but mine does not go into serious off road places...just romping on our place, mostly dirt paths created by the pathy...

I think I have some of that stock lying around.

• 1 month later...

Hey man, the sliders look great, :aok: what gauge pipe you used? I think this would make a great replasement for the factory nerf bars. the only thing I would change is to use u bolts instead of welds (not for fear of weakening the frame) but for the simple reason that if one gets damaged in the trail all it would take to remove it is a couple of wrenches, been welded, if they get bent enough to block the doors or rub a tire it would take a sawsall or a hacsaw (and allot of elbow grease) to get the damaged one off . no body intends to drop ther rig hard but it hapens anyway :chairfall:

Nice sliders! :aok:

I have also been told it is better to make up some C-brackets that will bolt around the frame instead of welding directly to it. Especially when the frame has already been weakened by rust.

I think kos was showing a picture of his step-bar mounts (not sliders) as an example.

Edited by skrillaguerilla

The material specs are in my first post, using a clamp or bolt of system is stupid and will not hold up to any trail.

if it's such a stupid idea, why do most manufacturers build sliders that bolt to the frame as opposed to weld on?

i am not ripping on your method, but if you are going to sh!t talk one, at least enlighten us as to why it's not recommended

if it's such a stupid idea, why do most manufacturers build sliders that bolt to the frame as opposed to weld on?

i am not ripping on your method, but if you are going to sh!t talk one, at least enlighten us as to why it's not recommended

Because most are weld on, and people who use the bolt or clamp method soon learn that they should have welded. Just look at the amount of metal contact versus a bolt or clamp... even people with unibody xj's weld to sub frame and rocker seams. I guess if you mall crawl and maybe go down a poser trail or 2 bolt on will work. I ain't building some bolted together hunk of junk.

Just 4 that I'm bolting and welding

Your Both wrong-right!-)

I'm welding mine, if it were a new frame bolts would work...

but living in the rust belt is rough on the frame (curse you salt!-)

Most people who choose bolt on are afraid they might want to remove them in the future. :rolleyes:

If you are gonna do it for use, weld it! As for weakening, hell, the frames rust to hell and back and need welded back together anyway :laugh: !