Re-thread exhaust manifold on a 91 pathy - how much shoud this cost?

ThomasMoore

Hey,

Pathfinder is sitting in the local garage waiting on a thread guy to come tommorow to quote for re-tapping the header bolts (stripped threads, usual story) - i've no idea how much to expect for this. Anyone have any experience and $0.02?

Thomas

How did they get stripped? Hopefully you dropped the Pathy off with them stripped and hes not just jerking your chain....

Yeah, definitely stripped on the top of the heads (not the manifold, sorry) - spoke to the mechanic today who says that the head might have to be removed to re-thread these - is this reasonable? I'm kinda surprised - is this standard? Still waiting for a quote for the labour though...

Julie... you had your motor out didnt you... And you replaced/fixed the broken stud or 2? Re torque time or you have something else thats tapping...

yeah casey, we replaced 2 studs that were broke. But left in the ones that were in there, I had already asked too much from my friend and he didn't want to replace the 'good' ones even though I knew they were weak. Just one busted one and a tap that won't go away, I'm okay w/ it. On a good note, I've got NEW cv axles (r/l) and new tie rod ends, upper/lower ball joints and a new centerlink. Finally getting a proper alignment now and the front end will be solid. Can't wait til next monday when all will be finished!

Edited by jgt

Yeah, definitely stripped on the top of the heads (not the manifold, sorry) - spoke to the mechanic today who says that the head might have to be removed to re-thread these - is this reasonable? I'm kinda surprised - is this standard? Still waiting for a quote for the labour though...

if the thread/hole is completely stripped, yes, if the engine is still in the truck, you may have to remove the head to do a proper repair job. If you slip and hit the water jackets behind the holes, it'll cost a whole lot more than a couple hundred bucks x tra in labor......

when i did all mine, i had both engines out, so i could flip and turn the engine as much as i wanted to do proper repair.

these are the times a BL is handy to have.

Edited by Slick