Timing Belt question with a Twist

duke777

I just bought a 1996 pathy for 4300 95k mi, garaged, back to the dealer every service interval etc. Pleased as punch. The PO stated relatively new tires, struts / shocks and brakes and the timing belt changed @ 90k.

After buying it :( I search through the trucks repair history and notice that only the fan belts were changed at 90k and not the timing belt. Oddly though it looks like the timing belt was changed at 52,000 mi? I have searched online and have read some recommendations for 60k timing belt intervals - not sure if that was for the 1st gen trucks.

My question is should i still look to change the timing belt around 105k -120k because the items listed below that are usually changed when the timing belt is changed will be in need of servicing and since it is rather invasive I may as well change the timing belt if i am down there. Make sense?

21501-0W501 Radiator Hose Upper

21503-0W001 Radiator Hose Lower

14055-0W000 Coolant Bypass Hose

14055-0W??? Small Hose to Thermostat

21200-V7206 Thermostat

21010-0W028 Water Pump

13042-0B001 Camshaft Seals

02117-88023 Drive Belts

Thanks in advance

Rich

If you're not 100% sure when it was changed, definitely follow the 105k (60k is for the early WD21 models) service interval. I wouldn't leave it much longer than that. It really is cheap insurance, even if it doesn't seem cheap at the time.

I may not have phrased my thoughts properly, but thanks everyone for the responses. I am thinking that since the timing belt was changed at 52k then it should be good for another 105k miles since maintenance intervals are every 105k. However, the things that are usually changed when the belt is changes: the water pump, hoses etc - are they going to make it till roughly 150k when i will be time to change the belt again? Premium Maintenance plan on the nissan site says to replace the water pump at 105, but not for the other service plans.

Thanks

From Hayne's Repair Manual:

Replace Timing Belt every 100,000 miles or 60 months, whichever comes first

This item is affected by "severe" operating conditions, as described below. If the vehicle is operated under severe conditions, perform all maintenance indicated with an asterisk (*) at half the indicated intervals. Severe conditions exist if you mainly operate the vhicle ...

-in dusty areas

-towing a trailer

-idling for extended periods

-driving at low speeds when outside temperatures remain below freezing and most trips are less than four miles long

Perform this procedure at half the recommended interval if operated under one or more of the following conditions:

-in heavy city traffic where the outside temperature regularly reaches 90-degrees F or higher in hilly or mountainous terrain

-frequent trailer towing

-if the vehicle has been driven through deep water

My 96 falls under half those conditions. In Vancouver the Nissan dealers recommend doing them at 80,000km, and likewise my truck had two replaced before I bought it (80,000 and 160,000).

52,000 miles is approximately 83,686km, so same as my vehicle.