Oil Burning?

dodgerex

2003 SE Pathfinder, I'm in Iraq and my wife drives my Pathy, she checked the oil just recently and its down alot she said. This has happend in the past as well. between oil changes were finding that there's anywhere between 1-3 cts of oil gone. Is this something that pathfinders do? I use synthetic oil. It just seems way odd to have to add 1 or more cts between oil changes with NO leaking and NO smoke and NO oil light comes on either. Anybody know whats going on here? I'll be home from Iraq in 2 months and could def. use some advise on what to do. She's due with out 1st child in 2 months so i dont want her doing anything under the hood or under the car (she can't fit any more lol) I told her to take it to get the oil changed this weekend somewhere, thats the least i can think of for right now. Any help would great!

2 Thoughts:

1. Our trucks have weak PCV systems...the PCV valve will let things go by...I removed mine, (it unscrews) and cleaned it out with brake cleaner (it is all plastic). I re installed it and put another oil catch device in line. It is an fuel filter for another vehicle I found on the peg board in Autozone. It is a clear plastic short cylinder with filter media inside and its "in" and "Out" on top. I use this in line with the PCV, that returns to the throttle body and have caught several ounces of oil. When the PCV fails to work all sorts of oil can go by.

2. Check the power valve pinned topic. If some of these screws go through the motor it will cause the engine to consume more oil. It really doesn't total the motor, but it does damage.

Hope that helps, good luck with the Newborn! :friday:

Two very good things to think about. What I think im going to do is once i get back Home and take my truck in for service, i'll print out all these great ideas and known facts and make the dealer look into them. Ive owne the pathy since Oct. 06 and never had to bring it in for anything yet. So that being said, it deserves a good tune up.

I don't know if its like the old WD21's but I'm sure its still a VG engine...I'd check valve covers b/c they tend to loosen up and it could just be a bad oil leak and it doesnt have to stain the driveway it can blow back on the undercarriage...my 95 was going through about 1-2 qts every 3k and thats all it was and it wasn't leaving any oil spots anywhere just dripping down and blowing back on the exhaust pipe (some burned off there) the rest just kinda soaked into the dirt/mud dried on the chassis...

so I'd suggest just having someone you trust here stateside give it a quick look over for ya just to make sure its not leaking...

Edited by unccpathfinder

I don't know if its like the old WD21's but I'm sure its still a VG engine...

Nope....the 2001+ has a VQ35 motor. Totally different design from the VG series. Valve covers weren't really an issue on those motors.