Anyone have AC Headers?

I'm looking into headers right now, and wonder if the ones from AC are any good? And is it worth buying the ceramic coated headers for 70 bucks more? Another question is will I lose any performance if just get a flowmaster with 2 inlets and one outlet rather than two separate mufflers.

Almost anything will help above the stock setup. So no you shouldn't loose anything but might gain the slightest bit. Between headers and a flowmaster you should be good to go, then just do the K&N filter and you are set.

Ceramic headers are better, they help with the heat disipation I believe.

Ceramic headers are better, they help with the heat disipation I believe.

I've heard this as well, that they allow the heat to carry back with the exhaust, keeping it cooler under the hood than with without. 88's gotta have an opinion here! :P

Yeah, for $550 you can get some Thorley Jet-Hot coated ones. Ow.

The chrome Thorley ones are better than the black Pacesetter ones, you get what you pay for in this case especially. The ceramic coating helps with underhood temps, yes, as well as keeping the exhaust gas velocity high and promoting exhaust gas scavenging by conserving heat inside the headers themselves.

maybe 10 percent tops I would say ... but the thing that will be the most great is you are increasing your efficiency, so if you actually lay OFF of the throttle a little bit, you can get the same performance as before you did all that, with the benefit of better economy ... but whose not gonna get into the throttle after all that huh? hehe

Planning on just spending the extra for ceramic. Between those, the Flowmaster, abd the KnN, how much HP am I looking at adding? Is it worth it to get the whole KnN kit?

What K&N kit are you talking about? If you mean a cone filter vs stock drop in, I'd bet you not gonna notice any difference between the open air cone sitting in hot air under the hood and probably slightly cooler air the stock box can grab, especially if you open up the intakes into it. I have the drop-in and am completely happy with it for $49 from the local shop. But I also opened a pipe directly behind the grill and headlight for a fresh gulp of air. That also lets a nice little raspy sound out.

I know 88 won't like this but...Pickles, what exactly did you do to the stock air box?

I am trying to block off all but one of the inlets to the air box and then go from there.

I know 88 won't like this but...Pickles, what exactly did you do to the stock air box?

I am trying to block off all but one of the inlets to the air box and then go from there.

This is the reply I got concerning headers for my 94 from JetHot:

"I can offer the Pacesetter headers (#70-1198), fully coated in&out with

the Jet Hot sterling silver finish,for $338.44+$25s&h to the door. The

headers get a lifetime corrosion warranty and a 3yr finish warranty.

Please feel free to call to place an order."

As for the airbox, I didn't do too much. There was a plastic tube deal other than the air intake, and I just took that off and ran a small length of hose forward for more air. I've got something else in mind though that I've been meaning to try.

Got a couple of quick questions. First, Pickles, I assume that price quote was for brand new headers and not for the recoating option mentioned earlier. Secondly, I did a search and found several topics on headers but I couldn't seem to find anyone who had installed headers themself. Has anyone done a write up on this. I recal seeing on on Mr. Jims site but i think he took it to a shop. The bottom line question is: can a white collar newbie (me) and guy who works on domestics (my buddy) do this job right.

Yes, headers aren't too difficult, unless you break the studs of the exhaust manifolds. That should be your only issue unless you have an automatic tranny then you have to mess with the "y" pipe to go from the two headers to the exhaust pipe that goes to the cat.

I was just wondering from a maneuverability stand point. Will I be able get the old stuff out and new stuff in without pulling the engine? thx 4 the info

Shouldn't be a problem, just a tight fit. You may want to search the topic of the exhaust manifold leak and replacing broken studs. There are tips for the easiest access to the manifolds, such as going through the wheel wells.

Has anyone here had problems with the Pacesetter headers? I'm guessing those are the 200 dollar ones from AC. Are the Thorleys the 400 dollar set? I don't quite have that kind of money to spend on just those. I'm also getting a new O2 sensor, plugs, wires, and rotor. Is there that much of a difference in the 200 dollar to 400 dollar set?

I was just on the thorley website and they say that their headers work with a stock height Pathfinder. Have any of you installed them with a 3 inch lift kit? I'm looking at the calmini kit but before that I want to get those headers. Mine is a '95 manual.