Hey!

ExplorerMan

Hey....I'm new here, I aint got a pathfinder yet but was looking at a 95 that isn't a bad price, I admit I know NOTHING about these things, I've always had explorers but, came across one thats 4X4 seen pics of it anyway, and thought it'd be nice to make specifically for wheelin so I don't have to worry about busting something on my daily driver explorer's. But I have a couple questions hope ya'll can answer I seen some off roading pics on this forum so how good are the 4wd drive trains in these? Do they have a solid front axle or solid rear axle? From the pics I seen of the one I thought bout getting didn't see no hubs so were they available with auto hubs maybe? or combined in cv joint so that the front axle is Live all the time? Were there electric shift t-cases available for these or were they all manual shift? How do the transmissions hold up? I'm pretty sure that the one I was looking at was a V6 (whether that was the only motor option available or not?) It has some front end damage but driveable. How do these things crawl in 4low with either manual or auto? Sorry for lots of questions but like I said, I know nothing about these trucks. After seeing the pics on here I can see some potential but didn't know what mod's ya'll may have done to yours, hoping its like the explorers that, they don't need modification to the drive train to go trail riding. Well hope to talk to ya'll and hope you welcome an explorer lover.

With regards to '87-'95 WD21's:

Solid (and beefy) H233 rear axle. Some with LSD. Lock-Rite available for open diffs.

IFS front.

Came with autolocking front hubs, manuals available.

True 4x4 with real transfer case (no electric psuedo stuff)

Body on frame construction (not flexi-flyer unibody)

Automatics, if abused, are weak link. Properly cooled, are fine. Most of us much prefer the 5 speed which is borderline indestructable.

Crawl quite well bone stock, outstanding with some mods.

Bottom line, one of the best true 4x4's available from factory in the 90's. Do not require nearly as many mods to be capable as Jeeps, Fords, Chevy's, or any others. And for any level of competency, still less expensive.

Warning: You will probably lose interest in Explorers after trying one.

Warning: You will probably lose interest in Explorers after trying one.

Lol, don't know if that'll ever happen, like I said I don't know much bout the truck if its auto or stick, just know that its damaged and supposedly it the transmission and motor are fine. Glad that these are body on frame units too, never had a uni-body suv and don't ever plan to either :) thank you for the information. I was hoping it was built like an explorer with capability to go off road being stock. How are the autohubs in these trucks like for dependability, if they're anything like the 91-94 ex's I've had they'd get replaced asap.

Edited by ExplorerMan

the auto hubs have a tendency NOT to unlock (or just 1 won't) sometimes... that's what happened to mini me (my 92).. i threw some milemarker's on her and she's been fine.

most everyone who wheels will go with manual hubs... warn, MM....... no, superwinch don't make em for our trucks yet (28 spline) i should know.. summit racing said they did, i got em.. for 31 spline....

if the truck oyu are thinking about is auto, make sure it shifts good. check the fluid to see if it's burnt looking or well maintained. if it IS auto, a trans cooler (bypass stock one) IS your FIRST purchase for your new best friend :tongue:

out of the box, as martin said, they are tough lil trucks. the "unknown"..... they wheel most excellent bone stock with good A/T or off road type tires.... (i've even wheeled mini on half bald crappy street tires)

depending on location, check the frame for RUST. this is the pre 96's nemesis. the frames have a tendency to rust out behind the rear passenger doors all the way back (in salted states) take a hammer and smack it if you're not sure.

other than that, you may come across broken manifold studs which will cause a noteable tick on startup.. won't hurt the truck, but will annoy you until you give in and change them :laugh:

there ARE after amrket parts for pathy's, you just have to know where to look..... and NPORA is a VERY good start :)

Steve over at rugged rocks off road (www.ruggedrocksoffroad.com) just installed a yota 3 link set up on the front of his pathy, and it is WICKED. it's WAY less trouble (1 bracket to fab, the rest almost direct bolt on) for install, and works as good as an SAS :sly:

if you are turning yours into a wheeler, lose the IFS, besides the auto tragic, the IFS will limit your flex

Edited by Slick

I had warns on my pre 95 ex's when they had hubs and they never let me down so I'd deff. go with those. Nice to know these auto tranny's are weak too. (NOT) lol. Don't think I'm going to worry about inspection with it, I'll just tow it just incase something would break out wheeling. I don't think $900 is bad for a truck if its running and has some damage. I like the looks of "KING CACA91".

Edited by ExplorerMan

I had warns on my pre 95 ex's when they had hubs and they never let me down so I'd deff. go with those. Nice to know these auto tranny's are weak too. (NOT) lol. Don't think I'm going to worry about inspection with it, I'll just tow it just incase something would break out wheeling. I don't think $900 is bad for a truck if its running and has some damage. I like the looks of "KING CACA91".

thanks. king is mainly my wheeler/back up truck (temporarily incapacitated due to a pinched something). all his details are in my sig........ he has a big fat trans cooler.... and he's had a couple mods since then, he "lost" the stupid steps, has clear turn signals (looks pimp lmao) and some (haha) work under the hood

i HAD 2 autos n 2 5spds but i got rid of my 88 & 90 pathy's, now i am down to the original 2 again (king auto, mini 5 spd) lol. had to downsize the family :laugh:

Edited by Slick

Yeah, I hear ya, if I get that pathy it'll make 4 vehicles and need to park'em all somewhere where they won't rip up the yard from sitting lol. I use to not like automatics but couple months ago I went to all automatic vehicles and learned they're a little nicer off-roading except the fact they don't crawl as nicely as the manuals. Whats the average gas mileage for these things with normal size tires?

Whats the average gas mileage for these things with normal size tires?

ouch, their sore point lol. WELL maintained, 19mpg......... not so well maintained or rode hard, 10-14mpg

if i drive 55-60mph with mini (5 spd) i can squeeze 19mpg out of her....... king 17-18 @ 65

if i drive mini "hard" (i have never driven her really hard) or 65-75 mph...... 12-14mpg

these things are NOT known for good gas mileage :hide:

Edited by Slick

Ok, if they got more than 20mpg was thinkin of using it as a DD but they're just as bad as any other SUV I guess lol.

lol, yeah, you could say that.......... :laugh:

has anyone on this forum done any V8 swaps on their trucks? Did you SAS your king?

yup, there's been a couple V-8 swaps, and no, king is not SAS........ YET. steve is working out the final bugs on the 3 link, then later this year or next spring king will get the same

check the garage for V-8 swaps. it there are a lot of topics about it, recently covered too

2 doors ROCK! just to let u know. but yea definitely pathfinders are the way to go for cheap offroading. when my dad got mine i was like thanks for the pile of crap what am i gona do with this. but after awile of searching on NPORA and other sites i found out these things are built! put a 3inch BL (100$) 3inch SL (200$) reamove the swaybars and ur good to go!

here is some more info to inform u on them/buy one.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/featuredvehic...cles/index.html

Edited by bigfisch1191