Starting my Auto-Manual Transmission swap

pktzygt

I'm starting on my auto to manual swap today. I'm going to do my best to take pictures as I go along as well as list part-numbers and prices I paid for everything I used. Hopefully it can be useful to someone in the future. Some do this swap because their auto tranny broke/are bored/prefer manual tranny/afraid of auto tranny breaking, take your pick. My auto is perfectly fine, so I'm in the prefer manual/bored category.

SPECS:

1990 2dr Pathfinder

1993(I think) Manual transmision purchased from Pathmaker1

included with tranny: transfer case, clutch pedal master cylinder, dampner and clutch line from master cylinder to dampner, interior floor plates and boot.

PURCHASED:

Duralast Clutch w/lifetime warranty including pilot/ throwout bearing $150.99 -10%discount (autozone)

Flywheel

motor to bellhousing bolts (I'll get back to you on this one)

Flywheel bolts

Rear Main Seal

ON ORDER:

clutch dampner line part #30652(Pic)

Flywheel bolts

Rear Main Seal

Clutch bolts

MORE POSTS TO FOLLOW!!!

Edited by pktzygt

What contols the sift points on the automatic? I thought it was the computer. will that cause any itnterferance with the engine because it thinks it still an auto l trans?

good luck with the swap!!! :aok: (i have 1 of each auto/manual so if i get bored, i switch trucks) :sly:

Thanks I might need the luck! This is my first time doing this. By the way, I hear you might be one to ask for help if i get stuck with something. Hopefully everything goes smoothly! (I know it never does)

What contols the sift points on the automatic? I thought it was the computer. will that cause any itnterferance with the engine because it thinks it still an auto l trans?

The auto has it's own computer located in the rear of the truck. From what they tell me, NO, It should be fine, but I will have to swap the speed sensor from the newer style with my old-skool one from the auto. I will be taking out the computer and selling it when finished with the swap.

(If I am mistaken on anything I post in this thread, Call me out on it and I will eat my words and fix it)

Edited by pktzygt

OK, I got a little distracted today. I went down to Corolla, NC instead to go wheeling on the beach. My daughted cried halfway home because we had to leave. Good use of my time. All I got done today was get the tranny into the shed and started cleaning it up. I was going to get the clutch pedal in. I'll get the clutch pedal in tomorrow hopefully and assuming all parts get here, I should have the auto out and the manual ready to go in on friday. One other positive note: I stopped to help a guy in a really nice semi-restored (no working headlights, no side windows) '71 Camaro with a dead battery. He was in the NAVY but moonlights as a manager at Autozone. So for my trouble, I now get a 20% discount. Word to the wise guys, don't just stop for cute girls. Guys in camaros might have more to offer. (I cleared that comment with my wife for sexism before I wrote it.....haha)

Anyone willing/wanting to help can stop by. Portsmouth, VA right next to the mid-town tunnel. Let me know. Rich, that means you!!!

yea ill definately be swingin by man. im going wheelin saturday for the last time with my auto tranny untill i do the swap in about 3 weeks. Ill tell Sam (sammyb33) about this thread to make sure you got everything goin good....hes the one who already did the swap in his 95 about a year ago. When do you plan on dropping the tranny? Also let me know where you get those bellhousing bolts from....i need to pick some up!

oh and the tranny mount crossmember from the auto tranny will need to be drilled on 1 side where it mounts to the frame....thats it. you can use the old bolts(if you can get em off without breakin them) with no problem and should take a whole 5 min to drill the hole. ill probably give you a call in a little bit cause i got a new phone number.

and check that cluch kit again. the pilot and throw out bearing are 2 different parts. the TO bearing should come with the kit but you will need to buy the pilot bearing separately. dont forget to get a pilot bearing puller and make sure the pilot bearing comes with the alignment tool. the pilot bearing must be perfectly aligned or else you will damage the clutch/flywheel. i know advanced has the flywheel you need for about $30. Also the tranny is from a 95 FYI.

oh yea and progress pictures would be awesome!!! after your done you can do a "how to" write up which im sure will help some people. ill be taking a lot of pics when i do mine.

Rich

Edited by pathmaker1

Thanks I might need the luck! This is my first time doing this. By the way, I hear you might be one to ask for help if i get stuck with something. Hopefully everything goes smoothly! (I know it never does)

:shiftyeyes: who said dat. lol. i have never done the swap, cuz i am lazy and just have a truck with each type of trans in it lmao, but yeah, if i can help in any way i will.

the ECU for auto is not compatible with the 5 spd trans, so the ecu will have to be swapped as well..... i am sick and i think you wrote that you will be swapping ecu's..... i will go back to bed now......

Edited by Slick

the ECU for auto is not compatible with the 5 spd trans, so the ecu will have to be swapped as well..... i am sick and i think you wrote that you will be swapping ecu's..... i will go back to bed now......

not so slick....the ECU could care less about the tranny in the truck. the auto tranny has a separate computer not connected to the ECU to determine shift patterns. i heard a few things about the ECU capatibility with a tranny swap but the conclusion was that the ECU doesnt care what tranny is driving the truck. Sammyb33 did his swap and his pathys runnin fine with the stock ECU....he went from an auto to a manual as well.

Rich

:shiftyeyes: who said dat. lol. i have never done the swap, cuz i am lazy and just have a truck with each type of trans in it lmao, but yeah, if i can help in any way i will.

oh and i think I said that. When Sean came and picked up the tranny i let him know who knows there $hit on here IMO and you were one of the people i told him about......sorry for callin you out but i guess thats kinda a complement?!?!

Rich

speak of the man....THERE HE IS!!! yea Sam, Sean(pktzygt) bought my JY tranny+all the parts and is droppin his auto today. im gonna help him out with the swap so hopefully i will learn something. headin over there sunday to see how its comin along....going to shoe creek tomorrow with the va4x4 peeps.

Rich

cool cool. i recommend a tranny jack or motorcycle/atv jack, they help TREMENDOUSLY!! Good luck, and rich knows my number, so just drop me a line if you run into any problems, but overall the swap is EXTREMELY simple....pull out, unplug auto, put back in, fill 'er up, drive away....

oh and i think I said that. When Sean came and picked up the tranny i let him know who knows there $hit on here IMO and you were one of the people i told him about......sorry for callin you out but i guess thats kinda a complement?!?!

Rich

It was meant to be a complement. I'm new at this 4x4 stuff, at least as far as making my own capable vehicle. Slick, i heard you and some others were the ones to go to for advice. Hopefully after this swap gets done and someday probably a 3.3 swap or even a V8 swap or something similar, i'll be a go to guy on the forum. As for now I just want to build a reliable truck for my wife to drive in the New Hampshire snow next year.

cool cool. i recommend a tranny jack or motorcycle/atv jack, they help TREMENDOUSLY!! Good luck, and rich knows my number, so just drop me a line if you run into any problems, but overall the swap is EXTREMELY simple....pull out, unplug auto, put back in, fill 'er up, drive away....

OK, I do not have a tranny jack but i was planning on rigging some MDF or plate of aluminum with U-bolts to my jack to make a flat platform.

I have pulled the transaxle so far. Doesn't sound like much but it involved removing both driveshafts, crossmembers, exhaust Y-pipe (had to break the studs) interior shifter trim, and shifter. I still need to pull the tranny and as sammy said, "put back in, fill 'er up, drive away...."

I think i have a handle on the wiring for the most part. I am trained in electronics, but the wiring is the part I am least looking foward to doing.

Today I hit the first roadblock. I can't figure out how to get the clutch pedal in. The duct for the driver's left air vent is in the way. I assume that pathfinders that were origionally equipped with manual trannys had a different duct. Any reccomendations???

Edited by pktzygt

I took apart the dashboard of a manual pathfinder at the junkyard and paid $3.49 for the tube between the climate control and the left driver air vent. I'll have to start the long careful process of removing my dash to get the one for the manual in. I'm concerned about breaking the vents for the defroster. Wish me luck!

I took apart the dashboard of a manual pathfinder at the junkyard and paid $3.49 for the tube between the climate control and the left driver air vent. I'll have to start the long careful process of removing my dash to get the one for the manual in. I'm concerned about breaking the vents for the defroster. Wish me luck!

wow thats weird....i thought it was a direct fit. im gonna come by this weekend for a bit. lemmie know what your wrenchin plans are.

• 2 weeks later...
Wiring???

yea we cant figure out how to start the damn truck now. i got the wiring now to make the "N" light come on at the guage cluster indicating to the ECU the truck is in neutral but i dont think im sendin the signal to the inhibitor relay. can anyone help me out on this one. there are a buttload of wires on the pass side of the engine bay for the auto tranny. also where is his computer tranny located....hes got a 1990 2door and it definately isnt over the passenger wheelwell or under any of the seats. i think unplugging the computer is going to help things. any help is awesome

Rich

once you remove all of the auto wireing up to the connectors in the engine bay that should effectively disconnect the tranny computer. I got your call rich but was at work and have not had service since late yesterday. Otherwise man it has been so long i would have to literally be looking at the truck to help you out.

once you remove all of the auto wireing up to the connectors in the engine bay that should effectively disconnect the tranny computer. I got your call rich but was at work and have not had service since late yesterday. Otherwise man it has been so long i would have to literally be looking at the truck to help you out.

I think i'm going to start by hooking up the auto tranny next to the truck to see if i can get it going. Then at least i can rule out something else going on.

Sean i saw i missed your call but my voice is fuct right now cause im gettin sick from the temp changes/pollen....damn you spring time!!! ill call you tomorrow. i may be off all day tomorrow and i do have a DC volt meter.

Hey Sam is there and way you can look under your hood or even take a pic? i know you dont believe in digital cameras but it would help. basically i need to know the location of the inhibitor(aka neutral safety) relay or at least the damn tranny computer. i got a scematic of the plug to the tranny computer with wire location and where they go/what they control but i cant find his damn tranny computer. the wiring colors in the haynes manual schematic dont match whats under his hood.....go figure! if i can figure out the color of the wires going into/out of the inhibitor relay i can solder them together and we should have ignition at that point. thats the only safety (i believe) preventing the vehicle from starting. like i said i got the "N" light to come on in the guage cluster. according to the schematic, after illuminating that light the only thing that has to happen is power going to the inhibitor relay to close the switch sending the signal to the starter coil to turn over the starter. dont know if im making sence.....the sedatives just kicked in....

Rich