new guy with a question

trtturbo

I found an '87 SE today for $300. Of course at that price its a little rough. Body is straight with an older repaint, good glass, 5 speed, great seats and dash, pass door panel is torn up, needs a clutch, drivers window motor is out, motor turns over, but will not start. Seller is telling me its electrical. I think its a easily a good deal at that price. I'm in Texas, so rust is not a big concern.

Any opinions welcome. I am pretty sure I'm going to pick it up.

just turns over. No fuel or fire. Seller said he was going down the road and it just quit. No noise when turning over.

It could be something as simple as a fuel pump. I still havent made my mind up yet. I found a few others much cleaner for a good price.

pull dizzy cap and turn it over see if it spins...if it doesnt spin then TB is more than likely the cause...I recommend changing the belt and setting everything up right...turn it over and listen for loud bad noises...if not run a compression check and this will tell you which cylinders are the worst off...then tear down and pull heads inspect all then replace valves if no other major damage...i broke a belt in my 87 and had bent valves in #1 and #3 did the work myself and like $300 later and a couple days and i was back up and running...

if timing belt is good...i'd check for fuel pump priming and sending gas to the TB...then I'd check the resistor, coil, cap, rotor and plugs...I'd also check the timing b/c it could have been a botched job and got an x amount of degrees out so ti wont fire...

Well, I didnt get that one. Just too much unknown. I found a '90 that had a ton of receipts for maint. It had a fuel leak, but after $6.00 and 15 minutes, it was up and running. Its a 4x4, 5sp. Interior is near perfect, a/c works, and it drives great. I gave $1100 for it. I'll post a pic in a day or so.