94 Pathfinder

simpfan

I have a 94 pathfinder with 180,000 miles. The check engine light has been on for a few months, but it runs fine. Now that I need a smog check in order to register, I had it looked into. The mechanic says I need to replace the camshaft position sensor as well as the oxygen sensor. They want to charge me $1000.

Based on helpful suggestions I received in this forum, I checked the codes myself and came back with error codes for 32) EGR Function and 34) Knock Sensor.

Can you tell me a little about those? Where they're located, and are they easy to change? Is EGR function the EGR sensor, or does it encompass much more?

Any help will be appreciated.

The knock sensor is UNDER the intake manifold and requires quite a bit of work to change. Dunno about the EGR function error, but after that many miles I can almost guarantee you the EGR valve or the lines for it are full of soot, carbon and other crap that probably doesn't help it work well.

typically you should address the first code first. I get the knock sensor code when the damned computer adjusts my mixture too rich or lean due to some other error like the O2 sensor etc.

Dunno about the EGR function error

My 95 started doing that the last time I was back east...I didn't get time to look into it but I assume its what 88 said full of carbon...and with my EGR function SES light it only comes on periodically but goes off a couple of mins later and will be off for a while and then come back on so I assume the valve is sticking b/c of buildup

IF you do have to replace the knock sensor, then yes most any shop will be expensive labor-wise since they all charge a ridiculous rate now just for labor....which is why I learned how to and did my own knock sensor replacement on my 1990 se. (and it had been bad for years.....) I just didnt have an extra $1000.00 laying around to pay someone to do it.

I suggest getting the easier and cheaper things corrected first...then check for knock sensor code again....to see if its still present.