brake question

ozzy

so i changed my front brake pads, for a day or two it was fine then i started hearing what sounds like grinding/rubbing. I looked at the rotors and they look okay... it seems when i spray wd40 on the brakes, they perform okay for a day or so...

anyone?

so i changed my front brake pads, for a day or two it was fine then i started hearing what sounds like grinding/rubbing. I looked at the rotors and they look okay... it seems when i spray wd40 on the brakes, they perform okay for a day or so...

anyone?

Check that the pad material is still attached to the backer plate. This same think happened to a guy at school during an autocross. The pad material de-laminated from the backer plate and fell out of the caliper. From there on it was backer-plate (steel) on rotor until the backer plate fell out as well. We found both laying on the course.

Bigmatt

At this point, you need to replace the brake pads again, as you have contaminated the pad material with the WD40. Your brake system is no longer safe.

You also need to hose off both sides of your rotors with brake cleaner to remove the residue of the WD40. Clean it up *real* well or you will contaminate the next set of pads!

Who told you that spraying a LUBRICANT on a friction brake system was a good idea?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :crossedwires::stickwack: :stickwack: :stickwack: :stickwack: :stickwack: :stickwack: :stickwack:

Edited by GhostPath

Yeah it's not safe anymore dude. Get another set of pads and before you take the new/old ones out spin your rotors by hand and see if you can tell where the sound is coming from. Then install the new ones and be sure to spin them by hand too.

I just thought about this. You got those wheels not too long ago right? Could it be a clearence/backspacing issue. You old pads were probably pretty worn down but the new ones are nice and thick. Well after looking at your pic those wheels stick out a good bit so that might not be the problem.

Edited by zonianbrat

Yeah it's not safe anymore dude. Get another set of pads and before you take the new/old ones out spin your rotors by hand and see if you can tell where the sound is coming from. Then install the new ones and be sure to spin them by hand too.

I just thought about this. You got those wheels not too long ago right? Could it be a clearence/backspacing issue. You old pads were probably pretty worn down but the new ones are nice and thick. Well after looking at your pic those wheels stick out a good bit so that might not be the problem.

It's possibly a wheel hub issue. I had a problem where the wheels on my rig were scraping the outer edge of the caliper bracket. That's probably what's happening to this guy.

Edited by GhostPath

Assuming you just did a pad slap and that you did it yourself you should have the basic skill sets to determine if you installed them correctly or if a backing plate has delaminated (very rare). My best guess with what you are describing is noise from the lip on the rotor. The old pads were worn and mated with the rotor. Now you have a fresh square edged pad hitting this lip causing the noise. You can resolve this issue several ways. Replacing or turning the rotor to remove the lip and make it true (best route). Or take the new pads and chambfer the top and bottom edges to not contact the lip. Or try EBC Greenstuff performance pads. They come with a bedding in abrasive on the pad that will knock the lip down and provide faster break-in. Unless your rotors are shot (heavily grooved/lipped). I just put a set of EBC pads on my R50 for about $45.00 and the performance advantage was significant for the minimal cost. But i also replaced the rotors. Good luck and don't use oil based products on your brake surfaces anymore.

BTW: If WD40 fixes the problem for a day- YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY CLEARENCE/WHEEL HUB ISSUES

Edited by Kirk

• 2 weeks later...
Assuming you just did a pad slap and that you did it yourself you should have the basic skill sets to determine if you installed them correctly or if a backing plate has delaminated (very rare). My best guess with what you are describing is noise from the lip on the rotor. The old pads were worn and mated with the rotor. Now you have a fresh square edged pad hitting this lip causing the noise. You can resolve this issue several ways. Replacing or turning the rotor to remove the lip and make it true (best route). Or take the new pads and chambfer the top and bottom edges to not contact the lip. Or try EBC Greenstuff performance pads. They come with a bedding in abrasive on the pad that will knock the lip down and provide faster break-in. Unless your rotors are shot (heavily grooved/lipped). I just put a set of EBC pads on my R50 for about $45.00 and the performance advantage was significant for the minimal cost. But i also replaced the rotors. Good luck and don't use oil based products on your brake surfaces anymore.

BTW: If WD40 fixes the problem for a day- YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY CLEARENCE/WHEEL HUB ISSUES

yeah i was just testing it, i didn't spray the inside of the pads, just through the little holes of my steelies onto the rotor a few times. but yeah the problem goes away for a day or two. So i guess im just going to have to step it up to the EBC Brake pads, or take of the tires and take a look at what's up once again, i had my buddy look at it, he spun the rotor around by hand and then put the tire back on. after that no noise, as i told him i swore there was noise, so he test drove it. and nothing, then he left and i got in about 10 minutes later, noise.

so yeah i doubt its hub issues, but thanks for the input everyone, i really appreciate it.

I am 100% SATISFIED. After hearing horror stories of inadequate braking with larger heavier tires I installed a set. I have had only positive braking from the pads (running on non-sloted Nissan rotors). My Super Swampers w/ steel rims weigh in at approx. 70lbs. each, and have had no braking issues what so ever. Highly recommend Green Stuff 4X4 compound you will notice the difference (very quiet too). Kirk

I have a set of front Brembo brake rotors for R50, as well as a pair of Hawk HPS street pads for R50 for sale

Asking $300 shipped

They are on a 2 month backorder nationwide - BUT I GOT EM!