Work that needs to be done... need opinion

Xmas

A good friend of mine overlooked at my Pathy and to find out that the bearings are loose and needs to be replaced soon.

He also said that the tie-rods, lower ball joints, then he said that I also should replace the upper ball joints.

Also I have a lifter knocking on the driver side (Yes, I did replace the exhaust manifold bolts ;) )

Now on these Pathy's; how hard is the job to replace the front wheel bearings (4x4) ??

I was told the job would be about another $1200.00 to do all this.

*** Now , do you all think I should do it?

I already put about $1100.00 into it by getting the rear main seal, small block gaskets replaced, exhaust manifold bolts, timing belt replacement kit w/ all other belts.

Right now what I paid into the vehicle and all the repairs, I have about $4200.00 total into it. If I get the ^ above replaced, I will be out another 1200.00

So I am thinking about not getting the other $hit replaced and just selling it out before I take this loss.

I can afford the repair but do you think it's worth go forward w/ the repair?

Now.... in the future.... I am not sure what else it will need fixed, but man........

:(

What's your guy's take on this??

Thanks

if your mechanically inclined do it yourself...wheelman paid me like $300 to help him do brakes rotors ball joints and bearings...

Maybe if you found a member in your area that would be willing to help you could get the parts and spot them some cash to save you some $

well, I would take a REALLY good look at the vehicle[or pay a good mechanic to check it for you] and try and figure out what else needs to be done.If $5400 gets you a good running 4x4 truck then it's probably worth it. I do think at $5400 you're probably at what a good functioning '95 Pathy is worth, so I wouldn't spend anymore.If you sold it ,and tried to buy another, you would likely still have to put additional money to get any other truck running well also. You would find yourself at about the same total cost. Just my $0.02.--Good Luck ! - glenn

If you aren't attached enough to the truck to keep working on it, get rid of it. There's no point if it's not going to be worth it to you personally. (.02)

However, what do you think the odds are of buying a >13 year old 4x4 that won't need maintenece?

You proably ought to decide before you do any more work though, you're just about (it not already) past the point of no return as far as your investment goes.

Looking at the FSM, the work seems pretty straight forward. It's not near as complicated as Subaru AWD hubs I can tell you.

If it were me, I'd fix it; but I'm a sucker for a money pit. :suicide:

thanks for the response.

Well I can do some things. I done hub bearings on my old 1982 Cutlass but from what I was told, the bearings on the Pathy is more difficult b/c of the 4x4.

What is your take?

My buddy said that since my truck is clean / straight, he said these things are wear and tear items and said more then likely even if you get a newer dated car, I would have to take on about car payments, auto insurance (full coverage) and then its breakdown if you was not to have warranty.

So like Glenn said, I think I am going to go forward to fixing it.

The Balljoints (lower) I can do. I help a buddy of mine that used to have a 1992 Hardbody and we did it with no prob.

Now tie rods... I am little worried b/c it will need an alignment.

Thanks all.... I will go ahead and take the task and do the lower ball joints myself....

..... now about about the bearings? Is it easy on the 4x4?? TIPS?? The parts are only like $10.00 lol

Edited by Xmas

the bearings are only a "harder" job because you have to remove the hub.

never ask people like me if dumping $$$ into a pathy is worth it... i've got $2k plus into mini and $1200 into king....... it's what YOU value your truck at.

Sounds like you can do most of the work yourself, so in doing so, you will save major $$$$ .....

the TRE's are easy. when you take the old one off, just adjust the new ones as close as you can to the old ones... if yer real good, you can do a good enuff job to possibly keep driving for a while until an alignment is done. if you :search: someone did a write up about a "home alignment" :aok:

I'm with Slick. If you put the tie rod ends back the way you found them, you may not necessarily have to have it aligned (bring on the shade-tree bashers).

I've never had a car aligned after changing the tie ends. I just make sure that A ) I don't move the lock nut. B ) The replacement is the same length as the replaced.

Safe bet you'll be fine.

Do you have a copy of the FSM? I recommend you look it over before starting the job. Try to be as familiar as possible with the parts before disassembly.

I've yet to have to change the front wheel bearings on my Pathfinder, but it doesn't look like a pressed-in jobber like many other 4x4s. There are several parts, but it shouldn't be that hard if you can keep up with them.

I tried searching for a 'How To' for you, but I got jack. The FSM presumes that you have some type of experience. Maybe a Haynes?

Edited by crazyhayseed

here is one of the links i found about alignments........ it's the one i mentioned above ;)

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...mp;hl=alignment

:shrug: Post #20 looks like the only one containing anything more than idle chatter.

Was there ever anything conclusive determined for or against the do-it-yourself alignment?

Do you know of any wheel bearing walk-throughs?

With everything you will be replacing an alignment wouldn't be such a bad idea and not too much of a compromise for the money you would be saving. with all the new parts the chances it would be spot on are pretty slim. i wouldn't really stress about getting it, but i wouldn't consider the job finished until it was done.